Select style & size:Select options
The new adage.
- Light, compact ice axe for mountaineering and steep skiing
- Steel pick with tapered pick for efficient penetration
- Trigrest handle adjusts up and down the bent shaft for a good grip
- Item #PTZ006V
- Q & A
Light, Strong, Does it All
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Must have tool for ski alpinists
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
This is THE ice tool for ski alpinism and easy alpine climbing when weight is a major factor. I've used it on ice in Chamonix, climbing Liberty Ridge, and on easy alpine terrain in the Coast Mountains. For such a light tool, it swings quite well into ice, especially with the pick weights attached. It's good to climb on easy mixed ground. It's super light and fits into a small alpine pack. Petzl is knocking it out of the park with their light/fast equipment lately. Only downside to this axe is non-replaceable picks so it's a bit more fragile but that's part of the game. These will replace my Sum'tec axes and also stand in occasionally for my Quarks. I opted for two hammers to be able to bash pins and the occasional picket if necessary.