Need To Send It Back?
Returning An Item Is Easy!
Repackage your gear to ship.
Generate your RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization) from your Order History and print your prepaid UPS shipping label.
Attach your prepaid shipping label, write your RMA number on the package, and drop it off at your UPS store.
Returns, Exchanges, Store Credits, and Warranty Information
Need a different size? Product didn’t work out? Found your sunglasses after ordering a replacement? Backcountry’s got you covered. Read on for all you need to know about returns, exchanges, store credits, and warranties.
RETURN REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE AND STORE PURCHASES
Unused gear can be returned at any time, with proof of purchase, for a full refund to your original method of payment. Unused gear must be returned in the condition you received it and with the original box and/or packaging, including manufacturer tags where applicable. If the original method of payment is unavailable, we will issue your refund in the form of store credit.
Used, undamaged gear must be returned within 30 days of delivery, with proof of purchase, and may only be refunded in the form of store credit. We will not accept the return of products that are dirty or damaged due to ordinary wear and tear, improper use, or accidents.
Products purchased at one of our stores must be returned to a store.
Proof of purchase includes a paper receipt, electronic receipt, or order number. Our Gearhead customer service team may request certain customer information to process a return at a store. For returns by mail, Backcountry can validate proof of purchase utilizing the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number.
RETURNS TO A STORE
Products eligible for return can be brought to any of our retail stores with proof of purchase, regardless of whether you bought the product online, in a store, or by phone. Bring your item with its original product packaging and tags (if applicable), along with proof of purchase, to the checkout counter at any retail location.
Please note: Purchases of $500 or more made with cash will be refunded by store credit or by check.
RETURNS BY MAIL
Follow three steps:
- Get an RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization) under the “Order History” tab of your Account or by contacting a Gearhead (call 1-800-409-4502 or chat online anytime)
- Repackage your gear. Be sure to include the RMA number and order number in the return package!
- Send off your return using a carrier of your choice or at a UPS location using a prepaid label that you can request after obtaining your RMA under “Order History.”
Take the time to package your returns carefully. It’s your responsibility to pay costs related to the repair of returned items damaged during shipping due to improper packaging.
We cannot accept returns by mail of products purchased at a store.
We cannot accept returns of certain products containing hazardous materials through the mail.
How to return something using a prepaid UPS shipping label: We offer a flat-rate $6.99 UPS shipping label for eligible customers within the contiguous U.S. who are returning products that don’t ship freight. You can either print this label after requesting a return from the Order History in your Account profile, or you can request that a Gearhead email you the label. The $6.99 price for the UPS label will be deducted from the refund or store credit issued for your return. The price of the UPS label may vary during promotional periods.
Products required to ship freight include kayaks, surfboards, SUP boards, cargo boxes, car racks, indoor bikes, and more.
How to return something using a carrier of your choice:
- From your account, select “Order History,” identify the product you wish to return, and select, “Return this Product.” You’ll be taken to a screen with the RMA number and your order number. You can also contact a Gearhead to create an RMA number for you.
- Include both the order number and the RMA number on a piece of paper on the inside of the package with your returned product. Please write legibly to avoid a delay in processing your return.
- Write the RMA number on the outside of your shipping container (i.e., a box or shipping bag), and ensure all shipping labels are on the outside of the container as well.
- Ship your return to: Backcountry.com Returns Department, 2607 South 3200 West, Suite A, West Valley City, UT 84119, or
- Backcountry.com Returns Department, 295 Technology Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073-7383
The fastest way to exchange a product is to return your original purchase following the instructions above and then place a new order. Immediately placing a new order ensures that you’ll get the new product quickly and that it won’t go out of stock while you wait for an exchange.
Call or chat with a Gearhead if you’d prefer to make an exchange without setting up a new order.
Store credits issued for returned products will expire one year from the date of issuance. All other store credits expire 90 days from issuance, including credits issued by a Gearhead or as part of a promotion.
We are happy to help you with manufacturer defects or warranty replacements. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for general warranty issues, or email@example.com for issues with bikes, bike frames, or bike accessories. Please make sure your email includes the following information:
- Order number, purchase date, product brand, and a brief description of the issue. Most importantly, please attach photos of the item, including the defect. Warranty requests must include pictures of the defect in order to be processed.
- Depending on the product, Backcountry may be able to help you directly or may need to connect you with the vendor directly.
If you find a warranty issue within 30 days of purchase, contact a Gearhead for store credit or product exchange.
Some brands we carry prefer to handle warranty issues directly. Please contact the brand directly if you have a warranty issue with products from one of the following:
Brands Who Handle Warranties Directly:
This list is not exhaustive and references just some of the brands that handle warranties directly.