Select your style & size:Select options
Aggressive versatility for ice and rock.
- Aggressive axe for versatility on ice, mixed, or alpine climbs
- Sharp pick angle with long first tooth for secure hooking
- Interchangeable Ice blade switches out for Mix blade
- Dual-density handle with multiple grip options
- Cyclops eye accommodates carabiners
- Item #GRV001A
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I spent a week climbing on the Carbon Tech Machines in Ouray recently. It took me a few runs to get used to these guys. They have a similar geometry to the Nomic and are in the same category of vertical ice tools to that and the X-Dream, but the weight distribution is a bit different and seems to be more in the handle than head. Initially, all my swings were a bit hard, causing the blade to go really deep every time. After I figured it out, I was able to be precise with very little effort. The long pick does indeed make for great hooking and the handle is very comfortable. The pick seems to be quite durable as well, holding up nicely over the week. I'm excited to keep using these and test them out in more variable terrain.
There are three versions of this tool:
- ice pick
- ice plus pick with hammer
- ice plus pick with adze
Since the picture on the web site is not even of this tool (the picture is of the aluminum Tech Machine), it is hard to know exactly which version of the Tech Machine Carbon is being sold. Could somebody please clarify?
The LivePerson reports that it is the first version of the tool (no hammer, no adze; just the ice pick).
isn't this the photo of the aluminum version and not the CF?