Wherever you roam.
Your backpacking destination could be up a casual trail near a nice lake, or it could be up a massive ice wall near the summit. Wherever you're backpacking, the Salewa Men's Rapace GTX Boot will help you get there. Its waterproof Gore-Tex Performance Comfort boasts enhanced breathability ratings to keep your foot comfy in warmer, drier conditions as well as wet, cold weather. The Vibram Mulaz sole features semi-automatic crampon compatibility so you can step on slippery stones or climb up ice walls confidently.
- Burly backpacking boot with a mountaineering mindset
- Gore-Tex Performance Comfort for waterproof, breathable protection
- 3F System balances flexibility and support
- Abrasion-resistant aramid upper with leather reinforcements
- Adaptive Foam wraps your heel in memory foam for a customized feel
- Climbing lacing assures a snug, secure fit
- MFF+ footbed attenuates shock, assures cush, and provides support
- Vibram Mulaz rubber sole with semi-automatic crampon compatibility
- Item #SFW003Z
- Q & A
Blister Free Guarantee my Blistered Foot
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
I purchased these boots two or three months before hiking the West Coast Trail in British Colombia. I hiked at least 30 miles in them (with and without pack) before embarking on my trip and had no issues with blisters or fit. I've bought other Salewa shoes before so I had high hopes for these boots.
Unfortunately, they didn't meet my expectations. As the terrain became more difficult (cambered sand, deep mud, tricky climbs) my feet became more blistered. By the end I had blisters on blisters (balls of both feet, most toes) and was doing minor surgery on my feet at night and spending a lot of time taping up in the morning. I got blisters through moleskin. I wore the same socks I've always worn with my hiking shoes (Wrightsocks).
That said, the Gore-Tex held up wonderfully, they are very lightweight, and I can imagine boots which would give significantly worse blisters in the same wet and unsteady conditions. The soles were nice and grippy in super wet and muddy conditions and I never slipped.