Taking customization to entirely new realms.
Obsessively refined for your skiing and riding pleasure, the Oakley Mod 5 MIPS Helmet spares no detail when it comes to functional protection, low-profile style, and lightweight comfort. The Mod 5's defining feature is the Modular Brim System, which offers the ability to swap between small and large brims for a flush fit with your favorite goggles. Not only does this eliminate the dreaded "gaper gap," but more importantly, it seamlessly channels hot air through the integrated goggle/helmet ventilation system to prevent condensation from obscuring your vision.
Oakley aimed to reduce as much weight as possible in the design of the Mod 5, but without sacrificing protection for skiers and riders putting it all on the line. The answer to these seemingly contradictory concepts is a hybrid shell construction, complete with ABS thermoplastic along the front and an In-mold EPS shell in the rear. The ABS shell increases protection where it's needed most by strategically reinforcing high-impact zones along the temples and top of the head.
This particular version sports an elastomeric MIPS liner for extra protection in the case of an angular impact on the mountain. This system aims to reduce the rotational velocity exerted on the brain by creating a slip plane inside the helmet, allowing the helmet to rotate independently for increased impact dispersion. MIPS is quickly becoming a staple in helmet technology, considering that most falls don't occur head-on, instead happening off-balance.
Not content on being merely a protective piece, the Mod 5 is stunningly stylish and super comfortable when you're riding for hours at a time. The adjustable venting system is easy to fine-tune, even when you're rocking gloves or mittens. 270º Boa fit adjustment precisely tightens to your head with its quick-turn dial, resulting in a secure fit without pressure points. Pressure-free, removable ear pads allow for customizable comfort, depending on the riding season and conditions outside. Rounding out this impressive helmet, the Fidlock magnetic buckle secures quickly without the fuss of traditional buckles.
- Stunningly low-profile helmet for skiers and riders
- Modular brim system for a customized fit with your goggles
- Hybrid shell construction is exceptionally light and strong
- MIPS elastomeric liner dissipates angular impacts
- Integrated goggle/helmet venting eliminates condensation
- Adjustable vents are easy to fine-tune, even with gloves on
- 270º Boa creates a precise fit with the spin of a dial
- Sizes: small 51-55cm, medium 55-59cm, large 59-63cm
- Item #OAK019X
- Q & A
Love this helmet. Definitely a plus that it has MIPS technology. I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone looking for a new one!
Pretty dope helmet
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Wore size M helmet a couple of times skiing in New Hampshire and Hokkaido this season.
Things that stood out to me:
1. Great fit with my Oakley Flightdeck XM Alternate (Asian) Fit goggles. No gaps.
2. Fidlock magnetic buckle was amazing. Makes buckling the helmet done in a second compared to other helmets out there.
3. Fits snug on my head, but I think the MIPS made my head unable to sit a tad deeper into the helmet if you know what I mean. As a result, the bottom of my ear touches the bottom edge of the hollow ear pads. (Ideally I would have liked my ears to be completely within the ear pads in the hollow area, but this doesn't really bother me because when my balaclava covers my ears, I don't really feel the edge of the ear pad on my ears.)
4/5 stars for an overall great helmet made thoughtfully and beautifully, but a tad pricey, with a very very minor discomfort. Would personally love to know if the MIPS actually made the helmet fit a little smaller.