Select style & size:Select options
Sport-savvy and streamlined.
Setting out to improve upon the ever-popular Fenix 3, the Garmin Fenix 5S Sapphire retains the original's sport-savvy capabilities, but in a streamlined 42-millimeter case that's ideal for smaller wrists. Updated to be more user friendly than ever, this version gives you the ability to seamlessly swap QuickFit bands without messing with tools. In fact, Garmin bundled an additional QuickFit silicone band, so you can quickly transfer between home, office, and gym without skipping a beat.
This particular version is upgraded with a sapphire crystal face for greater resistance to unsightly scratches, should you inadvertently bump it into overhanging trail vegetation, rock outcroppings, and rugged terrain. The 5S Sapphire version is upgraded with Wi-Fi connectivity, allowing you to quickly upload workout and activity data to your smartphone app. For times when Wi-Fi isn't available, the Fenix 5S Sapphire syncs with Bluetooth for uploading activity data out in nature.
It's one of the most comprehensive sport and activity watches on the market, thanks in part to its wrist-based heart rate monitor, alongside pre-loaded sport and activity profiles for athletes and outdoor enthusiasts. This means you won't have to wear a pesky chest strap or tailor your workouts to the watch's abilities, as you can record data specific to each activity and workout. And for dedicated athletes seeking the most accurate of heart-rate data, it retains compatibility with Garmin's ANT+ chest strap offerings.
Advanced Performance Metrics deliver both aerobic and anaerobic benefits from grueling workouts, so you can see how it's paying off in the long run and compare yourself to peers in your age group. Advanced Running Dynamics are handy for avid runners seeking information like lactate threshold, cadence, and stride length. And because you'll be branching out into different outdoor activities, it comes with pre-loaded profiles for everything from snowboarding to stand-up paddleboarding.
We'd be amiss to forget its GPS and GLONASS tracking, which quickly lock onto satellites for accurate navigation and activity tracking. You'll find the GPS is crucial for point-to-point naviation, as well as getting back to the trail head with its nifty TracBack feature. The 3-axis compass and barometric altimeter come in handy for assessing your bearings in the backcountry, tracking incoming storms, and monitoring elevation changes.
- Comprehensive sport and activity watch
- Smaller 42mm band is ideal for female users
- Sapphire crystal face + Wi-Fi connectivity
- Chroma Display w/LED backlight for outdoor use
- Wrist-based heart rate monitor for easy measurement
- GPS + GLONASS receiver for high-accuracy navigation
- Multi-sport modes for outdoor recreation and training
- Item #GRM007U
- Q & A
perfect smartwatch so far
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Had this watch for a week so far, super pleased with my purchase. Wear it everyday, finally something that looks and feels like a normal analog watch. So far used it mostly for hiking around with the dog, generally activity tracker stuff. Seems to track accurately, I'm a fan of the way apps and widgets are set up on the device. Companion app on iOS is solid. Looking forward to taking this on more camping trips this summer, and boarding this winter.
Eight Reasons Why
1. The Fenix 5S uses GLONASS Technology. This GPS reading tech is top of the line in terms of navigation. This navigation satellite system is space-based and operates in the radio navigation satellite service. Basically, this means that positions can be fixed quick and accurately, especially in condensed areas where the view to some GPS satellites would be obscured by buildings.
2. You can wirelessly transfer your data to Strava or Garmin Connect etc without connecting to a computer.
3. Along with great navigation technology, it has backtrack technology, or almost like bread crumb technology. Meaning, if you get lost, it will take you back to where you started.
4. This watch has a great battery life. Up to two weeks in the “smartwatch mode” (all depending on settings), 24 hours in GPS mode or, 60 hours in UltraTrac™ battery save mode.
5. The Fenix Sapphire 5S has an indestructible crystal face that works as hard as you do.
6. The resolution is crazy nice.. like cell phone quality nice. You’ll have the capability to read any of your smart notifications that are important to you. You can actually customize your watch face through Garmin's Connect IQ store for free.
7. HR on the wrist which means, you’re not having to wear a chest strap while you sleep or throughout your normal day to day activities.
8. You don’t have to look like a huge nerd.. I don’t know how to word that different. This watch is just bad ass and stylish. It’s this all things you want in a watch. It is beyond capable and pretty much does it all. It tracks everything and more.. And by more, I mean more.
Wear it every day
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I got this watch after reading everything there was to read about multisport watches. My Gearhead, Grant, pointed out the DC Rainmaker review which probably the most helpful thing on the internet. I use it running/biking/skiing/swimming. I got the sapphire edition bc it was the one that looks the most like a normal watch - hence, easy to wear every day and with any outfit.
- Familiarity: I gave it as a gift but have feedback to share
I bought this watch for my wife for Christmas. My gearhead, Brandon, was super helpful and got the order set up even though he knew I was shopping around for a better price. Ended up ordering it initially through a different site and they sent me an open box with a scratched watch! Can you believe that? Anyhow I ordered through back country. It came fast and is awesome. It has SO many features and looks really slick. The face on the Rose Gold is smaller than most GPS watches, so it fits my wife's small wrists just perfectly.
It's spendy, but if you run Ultras, go back packing, do road races, swim and climb mountains and still want a watch you can wear to the office and happy hour. This is it!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This is a great activity watch as well as being a great digital watch. Lots of customization options and long battery life which sold me over the Apple Watch. You can customize the face to show you time, day, date, altitude, sunrise/sunset, and/or battery life. I have it linked to my iPhone and it is a great way to stay on top of meetings, text messages, urgent emails and other notifications. Finally, this watch is a smaller 42mm size which is great if you are looking for a more understated watch as opposed to a hockey puck strapped to your wrist.