Wetting out is played out.
The Columbia Men's Outdry EX Gold Tech Shell takes a radical departure from traditional rain jacket design, eliminating the clammy feel of a soaked rain jacket with its external membrane construction. OutDry Extreme represents the pinnacle of Columbia's waterproof, breathable rain jackets, making it ideal for trekking in sopping-wet conditions and surviving raging storms on the trail. Proving it's not just marketing hype, Columbia extensively tested this innovative jacket in the wettest corners of the globe—ranging from the Pacific Northwest's drenched forests to the soggy coastlines of Ireland.
Backing Columbia's decision to buck the norm, traditional rain jackets are subject to wetting out in a deluge, as the DWR-treated face fabric loses its water-shedding ability due to oil and dirt accumulation, as well as from abrasion. Since OutDry Extreme employs a waterproof membrane along the exterior instead of sandwiching it between a face and backer, it never wets out in the pouring rain. As a side effect of never wetting out, the membrane is consistently able to pass sweat through its microscopic pores. This means you'll stay nice and dry from the inside-out, even during prolonged aerobic activity in downpours. For simplicity's sake, it's less like wearing a sweaty garbage bag and more like a climate-controlled shelter in a rain storm.
- Stay blissfully dry in unrelenting rain storms
- OutDry Extreme won't wet out in prolonged rain
- Remains fully breathable in wet environments
- Fully taped external seams keep moisture out
- Underarm vents regulate your core temperature
- PU-coated front zipper beads off rain and moisture
- LightRail zippers keep gear dry inside hand pockets
- Adjustable hood and hem seal out the elements
- Item #COL01L9