Vision Down Parka
- Scope your next route at base camp with Black Diamond's warmest
- 800-fill down has an impressive loft and incredible warmth
- HyperDry treatment helps down retain its lofty warmth in wet weather
- DWR-treated ripstop sheds snowflakes, raindrops, and light moisture
- Japanese Liquid Crystal Polymer increases durability
- Underarm gussets ensures full mobility while climbing
- Stretch cuffs and adjustable hood and hem ensure secure coverage
- Item #BLD011F
- Q & A
Great jacket - but not a good zipper
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: Runs large
- Size Bought: Medium
- Height: 6'0"
- Weight: 175lbs
Initial thoughts; I used the jacket for the past 3 days while ski touring at Roger's pass. It was fairly cold, 5F in the parking lot, so - 5F in the alpine plus 10-15mph winds. This was my first time ever needing to wear a down jacket while skinning it was so cold. The jacket kept me toasty warm while stationary for 10 minute transitions at - 5F (plus 15mph wind), I didn't sit around any longer than that - time to start skiing! I wore it over 2x merino base layers and a Dynafit mercury jacket, and it fit perfectly. I'm 6'0 and 175, the medium fits me, but is a little loose around the waist, but fits well around the hips, arm length is solid. If you wear it over a t-shirt, it's gonna be baggy, but when layering it works super well.
Cons: The zippers could be a little frustrating, especially with mittens on, not the end of the world, but I wish it was better. The down is not as thick as I thought it would be (I was expecting FF helios thickness, however it's still very warm). The colors available are not the most interesting or vibrant either.
The new fabric appears to be pretty durable - while skinning through evergreens the jacket fended them off quite well.
Overall, I'm quite happy with it and I would buy again. I'll update this review sporadically, especially if anything weird or annoying happens.
To what extent is this jacket wind-resistant? Does this have any wind-resistant properties?