Backcountry x Flylow Pfeifferhorn Jacket
The Backcountry x Flylow Pfiefferhorn Jacket was born from our 20-plus years of collective experience as Backcountry Gearheads, the long winter days we spend touring in the Wasatch Mountains, and the product design expertise of Flylow. A pillar in our touring collection, this shell is built around Polartec's NeoShell membrane, which shields against everything from biting winter winds to wet spring storms with boosted breathability for back-to-back transitions on the days when the powder is too deep to call it quits and the solitary gloom of a dawn patrol gives way to a brightening winter morning.
NeoShell is a convective membrane, meaning it actively expels excess heat and moisture without requiring an internal accumulation of either. Those gains in moisture management and breathability during periods of exertion (read: earning turns) do entail barely perceptible tradeoffs in windproofness; however, Polartec still credits the Pfeifferhorn's NeoShell as 99.9% windproof, but the added benefits of increased breathability recommend the material for applications like touring, when reducing the risk of clammy moisture accumulation between transitions can make all the difference.
Including a membrane in a touring jacket is an obvious choice, but when we provided our feedback to Flylow, our goal was to identify problems we have with the status quo and solve them with innovative solutions. For example, women's touring jackets often have smaller pockets, making it impractical to easily stash our skins out of the elements during descents. The Pfeifferhorn features larger pockets that fit skins to keep them warm between laps so the glue stays sticky and transitions are quick and easy. The pockets are also higher to avoid a backpack's waist belt, eliminating a common barrier to pocket access in another win for convenient transitions. An athletic, articulated fit is a final confirmation of the Pfiefferhorn's touring pedigree, and we asked Flylow to cut the jacket a bit trimmer than the typical alpine-specific models for a sleeker profile on the skin track.
- Touring-specific shell designed by Backcountry and FlyLow Gear
- Polartec NeoShell fabric ensures full protection in wintery conditions
- Fabric features high level of breathability for comfort on the ups
- Generous underarm vents offer on-the-go temperature regulation
- Large pockets accommodate skins between laps to keep glue tacky
- Articulated, athletic fit for range of motion during climbs and descents
- Gearhead Certified Product
- Item #BCC009O
- [membrane/laminate] Polartec NeoShell, [face fabric] 72% polyester, 28% nylon, DWR treatment
- fully sealed
- helmet compatible
- [external] 2 zippered hand, [internal] 1 chest
- zippered underarm
- Claimed Weight
- Recommended Use
- backcountry skiing
- Manufacturer Warranty
- limited lifetime