Extra 20% Off
Megatower Carbon CC Mountain Bike Frame
Why We Like The Megatower Carbon CC Mountain Bike Frame
For those of us lucky enough to have fast, technical trails in our backyard, the Santa Cruz Megatower makes for a top-notch enduro race bike or a capable bike park sender. Now in its second generation, the Megatower V2 sees increased suspension travel, updated geometry, and a host of other refinements that make it a premier option in the long-travel 29er category. We love the new Glovebox integrated frame storage, which gives us room to store a tube, tools, and some snacks right in the downtube of the bike. Integrated frame storage is not new to mountain biking, but Santa Cruz does the job right by using a spring-loaded latch that's easy to open, yet remains very secure when it's closed.
The first-generation Megatower could now be considered conservative when compared to the latest crop of enduro bikes, but thankfully Version Two increases the travel to 165mm in the rear and 170mm up front. The head tube angle is more than a degree slacker in both the high and low flip-chip settings, and the bike has a longer front-center as well as longer chainstays. This puts the Megatower V2 right at the forefront of modern enduro race bikes, ideal for plowing through absolute carnage at wide-open race speeds. That being said, Santa Cruz steepened the seat tube angle significantly, giving us a more comfortable pedaling position for knocking out the tough climbs that often precede our favorite downhill trails. And for those who are wondering whether they should buy a Nomad or a Megatower, the best answer we can give is that the Megatower is more speed-oriented with its 29-inch wheels, whereas the Nomad is freeride-focused with 27.5-inch wheels that respond quickly to rider input and make it a bit easier to pivot the bike between our legs.
- Steep trails, high speeds, and big hits are favored by the Megatower
- Go faster with 165mm of VPP travel and improved kinematics
- Slacker and longer geometry gives us greater stability at speed
- Steeper seat tube angle helps balance the longer wheelbase
- Glovebox storage lets us stash tools, a tube, and more
- Carbon CC frame represents the pinnacle of carbon technology
- Chainstay length is tailored to each frame size for optimal ride quality
- Uses SRAM's Universal Derailleur Hanger for ease in finding replacements
- Item #SNZK1H8