Need advice picking the right gear for your next adventure?Talk to a Gearhead
Select style & size:Select options
Giga Jul Belay Device
- Belay device switches from assisted braking to standard belays
- Massive 7.1 - 10mm climbing rope diameter compatibility
- Clips to anchors for assisted braking top rope belays
- Additional eyelet unlocks the device in top rope belay mode
- Item #ELR0056
- Q & A
Best of Both Worlds!
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
The beautiful function of the Giga Jul is to easily swap from a traditional tube style device, over to geometry assisted braking device. I have found having the dual options has been great for a few reasons -
1. The security of the geometry assisted braking for when I am belaying my partner on a pitch that I know they are putting in the effort. If they do peel off, I have that extra peace of mind knowing the geometry assisted is there to brake it all up.
2. Having the ability to belay as a tube device for very smooth feeding and keeping me honest at each belay is awesome. I learned on a tube device and they are easier to feed slack quickly - so on easier pitches where my partner may be climbing low 5 grade, I prefer the tube side. It also lets you belay with twins a bit easier/smoother.
3. The updated geometry of this devices is much smoother while belaying from the top in guide mode. The rope has an easier time pulling through.
4. Rappelling - I find myself always rappelling in geometry assisted mode. I like the psuedo "back up" - but it does come at the cost of a little bit of a learning curve and can be "Sticky" - if you are seasoned, want to use a prussik/kleimheist as a backup - then the tube side for rappel function the same as a traditional tube device.
The size range this thing fits is fantastic.
My favorite new do everything device by a long shot.