Best of both worlds.
The Outdoor Research Men's Interstellar Jacket is a lightweight, air-permeable shell ready to tag along on any and all alpine ascents you have planned. Crafted from a stretchy, durable ripstop fabric, this jacket breathes exceptionally well to let you pursue high-output activities without overheating or being restricted, and it features a waterproof AscentShell laminate to protect you from the wet rain, sleet, and snow that usually come with mountain adventures. Outdoor Research also made the hood helmet-compatible to take the question of sacrificing safety for comfort off the table before you leave your home. Dynamic reach underarm panels enable mobility when you're stuck on the wall, and the pockets are situated above where your harness would go to meet the needs of any alpine expedition.
- Hybrid shell jacket that's as protective as it is mobile
- Stretchy, durable fabric keeps up with active comfort
- Three-layer laminate offers waterproof, breathable protection
- Regular fit ensures easy layering and mobility
- Adjustable, helmet-compatible hood customizes the fit
- Underarm panels open up your range of motion
- Multiple, harness-friendly pockets stash the essentials
- Item #ODR00PJ
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
Shells are so tricky; they have to be waterproof, but how well do they breathe? Will I overheat? Will this jacket trap my moisture vapor??
The answer is an unequivocal "NO!"
The electrospun technology lends itself not only to breathability, but to enough air permeability to allow for a perfect exchange of air, to help prevent the "sweat box" that can often happen in a shell. It's like a web, or like cotton candy, so the breathability is off the charts. You will love the Interstellar!!
PS - I have used the women's, but the men's is the same