After years of being hounded by ultralight fanatics and weight-conscious backpackers, Western Mountaineering finally gave in and created the Nanolite 38 Quilt. This unbelievably lightweight and compact quilt is primed for summer backpacking adventures where the nights are mild and the hikes are wild.
The quilt concept is predicated on the idea that you don't need insulation on the bottom of the bag, because when you lie down on it, the down gets compressed and doesn't insulate anyway. Instead, quilts use the insulating power of your inflatable sleeping pad to do the insulating for them. By cutting out the excess insulation and zippers, it significantly reduces weight and bulk. The Nanolite features a simple attachment system that secures it to any mummy-shaped sleeping pad, so you get a warm, comfy night's sleep without worrying about your pad slipping out from under you.
Another advantage of this quilt is that it offers more room in the top and hips, making it ideal for side-sleepers and campers who shift around a lot throughout the night. And while a lot of quilts on the market suffer from poor closure leading to excessive heat loss, the Nanolite has a top collar that drapes around your shoulders to lock in core heat. Not to mention, the entire thing clocks in at well under a pound and packs down to the size of your water bottle, making it the superior choice for summer backpacking trips.
- Ultralight and low-bulk quilt for backpacking
- Integrates with any mummy sleeping pad for maximum efficiency
- 850+ fill down is exceptionally light, warm, and compressible
- Top collar drapes around shoulders to lock in heat
- Design is optimal for all body types and sizes, and side sleepers
- Simple bottom closure from shoulder to foot
- Packs down to roughly the size of a 32oz water bottle
- 12D fabric is featherlight
- Item #WES001H