The warmest for the coldest.
This Inferno Sleeping Bag is The North Face's warmest expedition bag and is designed for the world's harshest environments. The North Face treated this bag's light and lofty 800-fill down insulation with ProDown water-resistance to retain its warmth in wet weather. Neovent Air fabric adds extra water-resistance to the hood, back, and footbox for moisture-riddled tents.
A generous mummy cut helps you layer up before you go to bed, and the half-length center zipper offers easy entry. The North Face also added a cinch-cord at the hood and draft tubes at the collar and overlap to keep frigid winds at bay. This bag also features an internal pocket to insulate electronics and valuables.
- -40F temperature rating
- 800-fill ProDown insulation
- Neovent Air hood, back, and footbox
- Generous mummy cut
- Half-length center zipper
- Hood cinch-cord
- Full draft collar and overlap
- Internal pocket
- Compression and storage sacks included
- Item #TNF01B0
- Q & A
Great Expedition Bag
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This is a great expedition bag for any treks, even up over 8000m. I would say it is very comparable to other industry leaders for this niche need. I would say my only real complaint with it would be that I have felt a slight draft in the zipper. There isn't a real collar to cover this, and so I did have a slight breeze. The outer material isn't the top of the line for moisture resistant but it does help keeping the down dry. I"m 6' and I did just fit into the regular size bag. I would say it would be nice to have a little bit extra room though to stuff, boot liners, clothes, stove, or other necessities into the bag with you at night to keep from freezing.
To test the warmth of it, I had my fiance bring it out on her first winter expedition with our pup, and they both approved as it only got down to about 15 degrees that night!
Feel free to reach directly out to me with any questions on this bag or anything else for your next big expedition!
Warm but restrictive
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
No doubt this bag is a nuclear reactor. I used it for a recent ascent of Aconcagua and was never in the vicinity of cold. Quite the opposite. I was hot most nights and couldn't effectively vent the bag without exposing the entire upper half of my body. Guide said we needed a -20/-30 F bag for the expedition so I bought this. If I were to choose again, I would choose a -20F with a traditional zipper all the way down the side to allow ventilation. I still like the bag though.
- Very warm
- Very lightweight and compressible for the rating
- Appears durable
- Center zipper means your leg movement is a little restricted. If you're claustrophobic at all, this is not your bag.
- No way to vent your legs. I think a good idea would be to add a zippered vent somewhere on the bottom half of the bag to cool down when temps are higher. When mountaineering coldest temps only experienced at highest camps and this bag is totally overkill at lower/base camps.
- The zipper itself is hard to zip all the way up when you're in the bag. It's not a big robust, easy-close plasticized metal zipper, perhaps because they vent too much. I had a hard time zipping all the way up to my chin. Required major contortions on my part.
little spec break down
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
Length: 84 in / 213.36 cm
Packed Size: 22 x 12 in / 56 x 30 cm
Shoulder Girth: 62 in / 157 cm
Fill Weight: 3 lbs 9 oz / 1.6 kg
Temp Rating: -40 F / -40 C
Age Group: Adult
Kind of insane that the weight isn't listed here...
Really sorry. With as many products as we've got on our site, every now and then we miss a small detail.
Here are the weights:
3 lbs 14 oz
4 lbs 4 oz.
Hope this helps!
Hola haces envios a argentina?
Hola Guillermo, En Recursos en la parte inferior se puede hacer clic sobre " la política internacional de envío" . Una vez allí, en la columna de la izquierda , hay una que dice: " no podemos enviar a ciertos países " bajo órdenes internacionales . No vi a Argentina en la lista. Usted puede intentar llamar a atención al cliente y ver si tienen a alguien que hable español para ayudarle. Buena suerte.
I'm 6ft, do the regular size will be to just for me ?
Yep! Usually if a bag is labelled "6ft", there is a little extra room in there. I'm 6ft and always go with the "regular" or "6ft" option.
Will this be warm enough for climbing Mt Denali?
This -40 bag will definitely be warm enough. If you're a cold sleeper then you'll want to wear additional layers to bed and make sure you eat and drink a bunch / exercise before bed.
Shoot me an email anytime you have questions!
Why do they not list the fill weight... Arghh. Anyone know what it is?
Here is the fill weight for this bag:
Regular: 2lb 12oz
Long: 2lb 15.8oz
Let me know if you've got more questions about this bag or any other gear!
Hey Jim P.
Thanks for your question. The regular bag weighs 3 lbs 14 oz and the long weighs 4 lbs 4 oz.