A beefy, insulated snow boot with loads of winter-specific features.
Whether you're camping in the snow or just taking your dog out to sniff some bushes on a snowy morning, your feet will appreciate all the winter-specific features of the Men's Chilkat Leather Insulated Boots from The North Face. The uppers are made of waterproof, full-grain leather that is insulated by 200-gram Heatseeker synthetic insulation. A Dri-Lex fleece lining in the collar adds even more warmth and comfort. To give you plenty of support, The North Face used a compression-molded EVA midsole that will stand up to abuse, day in and day out. Even if your neighbors forget to shovel their sidewalk, you'll still be safe and secure with the Winter Grip IcePick lugs. The IcePick lugs are temperature-sensitive, so they'll adjust to conditions to help keep you safe.
- 2.0-2.2mm waterproof, full-grain leather upper
- 200g Heatseeker insulation
- Dri-Lex fleece lining in the collar
- Compression-molded EVA midsole
- Winter Grip rubber sole
- IcePick temperature-sensitive outsole lugs
- Item #TNF00Y8
- Q & A
Borther's love them so far
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: True to size
Me and my brothers are headed to Iceland in February and they needed something a little warmer for hiking out there. Got them these for Christmas and so far they've loved them. Haven't tried them out hiking yet, but they both shoveled snow a couple time for over 4 hours and never got cold. Seem to be made well and the inside is really comfy. The leather is a bit soft and prone to scuffs, but still seems like they should hold up well. Our main concern was warmth and after being out in the snow and slush in around 20 degree weather they seem to do pretty well.
Better than expected!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
Rarely am I surprised by the quality of a product I ordered online, but this one did surprise me in a positive way!
- Fit and finish of the exterior seams--rubber soles, leather/suede upper--is superb and should be waterproof as promised in snow. I would not, however, expect them to be as waterproof in slush/water as a half-rubber boot like the Chilkat II.
- What you give up in a rubber boot, you gain back in lightness and comfort. These are simply featherweight and a joy to wear.
The sole has just the perfect balance of stiffness and flex and the top of the boot is well-cushioned so it doesn't dig in to your calf/shin.
- Fit: these fit me true-to-size and I have a very wide foot. There was just enough space for a medium-weight sock.
- Extremely good-looking and do not look huge, like an insulated winter boot (which they are!).
- The insole does not offer much in the way or arch support and I find the heel too low for my taste. I had to go out and purchase proper support insoles. It would also have been nice if North Face had made their insoles removable, as in other boots I own.
- While you're at it, pick up a pair of leather laces: the ones that come with are way too slippery and are not thick enough to be held securely in the upper hooks.
Conclusion: All in all, a good value and a boot that should perform well for a long time.