Ski & Ride Guide—
Select Style & Size:
XT FD-M8100 Front Derailleur
Unlike their main competitor, Shimano has yet to give up on the front derailleur for mountain biking applications. This is good news for riders that prefer the wider gear range and closer steps between gears that a 2x drivetrain provides, and with the release of Shimano's new XT 12-speed group these benefits are more noticeable than ever. Slap on the XT FD-M8100 Front Derailleur and you'll enjoy confident, secure shifting with a lighter action than previous generations of XT front mechs. It's designed to work with the XT M8100 and M8120 2x cranksets, giving you an extra wide gear range when paired with their 36-26t chainring combination.
The XT FD-M8100 front derailleur uses Shimano's signature side swing action for more efficient cable routing and a smoother, more powerful front shifting effort. The design also allows for greater tire clearance (up to 2.3in tires on modern rim widths), and has no issues fitting long travel bikes with short chainstays since there's no linkage behind the seat tube like older front derailleur designs. Lastly, the cage features a wider chainstay angle that eliminates chain rub, giving you nearly silent operation when pedaling.
The XT FD-M8100 front derailleur is available in D, E, and M-type mounts to fit a wide variety of mountain bike frames, though the M-type mount requires a separately purchased clamp adapter for 34.9mm seat tubes. Please note that the derailleur will work with both 48.8mm chain lines for bikes with 12 x 142mm hub spacing, and 51.8mm chain lines for bikes with 12 x 148mm Boost hub spacing.
- Front derailleur for XT 12-speed mountain drivetrains
- Pairs with XT M8100 and M8120 2x cranksets for a wide gear range
- Enjoy confident, secure shifting with a lighter lever action
- Side Swing yields more powerful shifting and greater tire clearance
- Wider cage design eliminates chain rub for quiet operation
- One spec for both non-Boost and Boost chain lines
- Compatible with 2.3-inch tires on modern rim widths
- Available in D, E, and M-type mounts
- Item #SHIU18F
- Pull Type
- front pull, side swing
- [top gear teeth] 36 - 38t, [max capacity] 10t
- Shimano XT M8100 2 x 12 drivetrains, Shimano 12-speed mountain chains
- Claimed Weight
- [M-type] 4oz (114g), [D-type] 4.8oz (135g), [E-type] 3.7oz (106g)
- Recommended Use
- Manufacturer Warranty
- 2 years
What do you think about this product?
ViewSelecting an option will reload the available reviews on the page
Sorry, we don’t currently have any of those types of reviews for this product.