Select style & size:Select options
A beginner fly fishing kit that gets you going in no time.
The Scientific Anglers Fly Fishing Outfits 4-Piece Fly Rod offers you the ideal learning kit to dive into the fly fishing world. Whether you're looking to fish for trout, panfish, bass, or saltwater, this kit includes a graphite rod, a quality disc drag reel that's already loaded with backing, fly line, and leader.
- Lightweight 4-piece graphite rod offers smooth and easy casting
- Trout and Panfish starter kits feature a 5/6 weight rod that works well for catching trout and panfish in rivers, creeks, or high-mountain lakes
- Bass and Saltwater starter kits feature a 7/8 weight rod that works well while you cast out into lakes, off of jetties, or off of small boats
- All kits come with a quality pre-loaded disc drag reel, the Scientific Anglers Concept 2 Fly Reel, are loaded with backing, fly line and leader, and are ready to use out of the box
- Trout and Panfish starter kits consist of WF-6 floating line, while Bass and Saltwater starter kits feature a WF-8 floating line that's easy to cast and offers excellent floatation
- Item #SAS0044
- Q & A
Caught my first trout on this!!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Got this for a killer deal and figured I couldn't lose. And I didn't. I'm a totally new fly fisherman and am still very low on the steep learning curve. A guide told me to splurge on nice boots and waders and not the rod and reel. While you CAN spend a fortune on that stuff, this rod and reel combo have been working just fine for me. The reel is pretty smooth, rod is light and goes together easy. Comes with storage tube also.
I did have an issue where I dropped the rod on a black sand beach in Yellowstone and some grit got into the reel. I opened it up and cleared it out and boom, good as new.
The only downside seems to be the reel doesn't pop apart easy like the metal ones, so you can't just switch spools on it. But if you're new to fly fishing or want a backup rod / reel, this will more than suffice.
Is this just the rod or the complete outfit with reel, line, etc.?