Like the vulture.
- Mountaineering boot built for technical climbs and alpine terrain
- Gore-Tex Performance Comfort for waterproof, breathable protection
- Salewa's 3F system adds support, flexibility, and fit
- Multi Fit Footbed with interchangeable insoles for custom comfort
- Vibram WTC rubber sole with hybrid crampon compatibility
- Item #SFW0061
- Q & A
Great fit, with a couple of nits
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: 47
- Height: 6'3"
- Weight: 195lbs
This is a post-purchase, pre-use review based only on fit. I'll update this when I've had a chance to try them out in the real world.
I have very difficult feet to fit - long, narrow, low volume, and flat. It's the rare boot that both provides enough room for my toes and locks in my heel to prevent blisters. I tried this boot, along with just about all of its competition from La Sportiva, Scarpa and Lowa, and this one fit the best. Light, comfortable, should be fairly warm with heavy socks. I bought these for summer glacier climbs in the cascades and can't wait to get out in them. For whatever reason, these fit me more comfortably than the Ravens, which are essentially the same design with synthetic materials, and weight difference between the two was 50g per boot.
- The neon colors make my eyes hurt. Perhaps it would help with search and rescue due to their visibility from orbit. This was almost a deal breaker. I'd prefer something a little more muted.
- I'd prefer simpler lacing hardware. The bottom eyelets (through the leather, as opposed to hardware attached to the leather, more common in heavy boots) don't work well with the heavy leather, creating gaps between sides and tongue that crud and snow will get into. All exterior hardware would be better for perwanger. Also, the fancy cam lock lack hardware and rollers seem like unnecessary potential points of failure, but we'll see.
- Overall fit outweighs these concerns, however.