Roval Rapide CLX Disc Brake Wheel
Select Style & Size
Rapide CLX Disc Brake Wheel
With a satisfied nod and one-sided smile, we can close the era of mixing and matching front-to-rear wheels from different wheel lines, straining to eke out that last bit of aero efficiency. Roval delivers the full package in one homogenous and optimized wheelset, the Rapide CLX. Stemming from their in-house testing and billed as "complete speed," the Rapide CLX combines two aerodynamically optimized wheels, with a front-depth at 51mm and the rear at 60mm. However, let's focus on the front wheel — we'll come back to the rear.
An external rim width of 35mm at the front provides a more optimal shape for tire stability and momentum-saving drag reduction. The front-wheel also sees more bothersome crosswind gusts do to the deep section profile. Roval combats this with a focus on stability and helping us, as riders, reduce our over-correction tendencies during random wind gusts. The rim's shaping allows for wind gusts to be less influential over steering-dynamics and extends the length of time that riders have to acknowledge the wind gust and make the appropriate adjustments. A quick read is that the Rapide CLX handles the wind gusts to buy us more time to steer precisely.
At the rear, there is less complicated wind flow to disrupt steering characteristics, so Roval focuses on pure speed and drag reduction. At 60mm deep and slightly narrower than the front, the rear Rapide CLX tucks behind the frame, cutting a thin line. The result is a wheelset with less drag than most 65mm wheelsets and more stable than Roval's revered CLX50.
A perfectly matched AeroFlange hub system provides a base for power transfer and control by introducing wide bracing angles for reduced weight and increased strength. DT Swiss' EXP internals satisfy with active engagement and smooth operation. Roval tested the Rapide CLX for 26mm tires, and it's designed clincher to run with tubes.
- Carbon, racing wheelset for when outright speed is your winning edge
- Inspired by time trial dominance and alpine summit finishes
- Independently designed front and rear wheel surpass expectations
- Steering torque maintains cornering speed and sheds sudden wind gusts
- Deeper section rear wheel minimizes drag without impacting handling
- AeroFlange hub is everything you'd expect from an elite wheelset
- Item #RVJ000K
- Rim Material
- Wheel Size
- Tire Type
- Rim Depth
- [front] 51mm, [rear] 60mm
- Rim Width
- [front/rear/internal] 21mm, [front/external] 35mm, [rear/external] 30.7mm
- Brake Compatibility
- center lock disc
- [front] Roval AeroFlange Disc, sealed cartridge bearings, [rear] Roval AeroFlange Disc, sealed cartridge bearings, DT Swiss EXP internals
- Front Axle
- 12mm thru-axle
- Rear Axle
- 12 x 142mm thru-axle
- DT Swiss Aerolite T-head
- Spoke Nipple
- DT Swiss Pro Lock hexagonal
- Spoke Count
- [front] 18, [rear] 24
- Claimed Weight
- [front] 649g, [rear] 751g], [set] 1400g
- Recommended Use
- road cycling
- Manufacturer Warranty
- [warranty] lifetime, [crash replacement] 2 years
What do you think about this product?
July 29, 2020
Are these equipped with ceramic bearings?
July 24, 2020
Is there a tubeless version?