Essential one-piece long john for alpine climbing, mountaineering, or longer, colder expeditions.
- Durable Polartec Power Stretch nylon fabric fits close and stretches with your movements on the mountain while it insulates, breathes, and wicks moisture while you work
- Bib design keeps you warmer, saves weight (only 12oz), and enables easy layering when gearing up for the summit route
- Flatlock seams prevent chafing and wide shoulder straps don't dig into your skin during long days on the route
- 28-inch inseam length fits most climbers
- Two-way YKK front zipper provides easy on-off, venting, and can be used as a fly
- Rainbow seat zipper accommodates bathroom breaks
- Zippered chest pocket stores a handkerchief or lens cloth
- Item #RAB0157
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: Large
Just to clarify some size questions.
I am a universal medium pant/short size (33inch) and a large shirt/jacket size (43-44inch). I am 6'0.
I also cut the lower legs off to allow wearing ski socks without overlapping with lower fabic.
Probably 5-stars ... but I don't give anything 5-stars.
Finally found for what I've been looking
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: Runs small
- Size Bought: Medium
It fits as next to skin. There is a little gap of material around the genitals. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this warm base layer.
Great additional layer for cold days
- Familiarity: I gave it as a gift but have feedback to share
- Fit: Runs small
- Size Bought: XL
I gave these as a gift to a friend of mine who works and plays in the cold. Here is what he had to say ...
These seem to be euro sized because I normally wear a L and had to get the XL. Fit is perfect and these are an excellent piece for cold days ice climbing.
Sizing update and this farmer john rocks
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: Runs small
I am 5'9" and 135#, skinny athletic build. Always stuck between small and med, usually always get a small in base layer. First got small, I felt it fit my skinny body very well but the crotch was tight in my junk, who knows maybe it would have stretched out a bit. Returned and got the medium, looser fit throughout the body but fit my height well. From my experience rab has weird sizing. Wanted to give it four stars because of sizing but love the piece to much!
I love this baselayer because I travel a lot and tour. Therefore unlike other one pieces that are stinky after one day (maybe a couple days with wool) this one is good for tens of days, because it is farmer john build which doesn't go to underarms and when you wear underwear your stink is separated. It is also the most efficient weight to warmth with a farmer john. Therefore just throw a med base layer top and you are set. My most used piece of clothing in the winter. Also the material is very comfortable, warm, breaths, takes moisture very well.
So what's up with all these high end baselayers having the stupid chest pocket (this one does)?? For a while I go out of my way to buy without one (when I was comparing zip t from icebreaker to smartwool I leaned towards smartwool one of the reasons because didn't have one). Well I finally found a great use for that pocket. When stuck overnight in the backcountry I was able to use it to warm things up like my frozen orange, frozen phone so I could get 911 calls. Total life saver, so it can be used as a little oven other than that don't know any other purposeful uses.
Sizing is way off
I wear a medium in most things including arcteryx which is known for a tight fit. I ordered these bibs in medium and when I tried them on they were ridiculously tight on me. I could even barely get the cuffs over my foot. Thought I was going to blow a seam. I managed to pull them on but could barely breath. Quality was good and they are light but be sure to size up. For the record I'm 5'9" and weigh 170. These are going back. I'll swap them for a large and hopefully I'll nail the fit.