onthemovefitwrote a review of Altra King MT Trail Running Shoe - Men's on June 19, 2017
Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Fit: True to size
These are close but lack refinements necessary for the mountains. Good for trails but when I gave them a true mountain test (Square Top Mountain, 13,800') there were some things lacking. I got these for this specific purpose as the Superior 3 did not hold up to steep ascents/descents.
The picture shows some of the terrain they were exposed to.
* Zero drop
* Great ground feel
* Felt great on climbs. Heel held well during ascents.
* Lower profile than the Superior in upper
* Great sole
* Heel gets sloppy on descents. Needs a heel cup. The velcro helps, but there's a sense when descending the heel isn't holding well.
* If one is going to play in the mountains there must be better lateral support. My foot was sliding laterally in the shoe to the point I had some foot hanging over the side.
* Medial and Lateral forefoot protection. The mountains have rocks and when there's no protection they jab into the foot.
* After two uses the top of upper at laces it almost touching. I had to crank them down pretty hard on the descents.