Maia B.wrote a review of Black Diamond Dawn Patrol 32L Backpack on February 27, 2017
Familiarity: I've used it several times
I've used this pack for maybe 15 or so days of backcountry touring since I got it in November. I love so many things about it but I'm very frustrated by a few design flaws.
- Fits well and very comfortable to ski in
- Whistle on sternup strap
- Love the external helmet carry!!!
- Roomy dedicated skins pocket (not sure if it's waterproof)
- Dedicated avy gear pocket
- Diagonal carry, side A-frame carry, and snowboard carry, with really beefy reinforced straps
- Ice axe carry strap
- Love the big velcro grippers for the ski pole carry, fits around my folded Z-poles
- Roomy hip belt pockets can actually fit my snacks
- Hydration bladder and Avalung compatible
- Hydration bladder is not stored on the back door flap
- The avy gear pocket takes too much volume from the pack, and yet isn't tall enough to fit BD's own Deploy 7 shovel unless the pack is totally empty. If you have a medium-large shovel, packing around it and then repacking it if you want to use your shovel to dig a snowpit is ridiculous.
- The pack is already breaking after 3 months of use. The helmet High-Carry mode has two tabs sewn onto the panels of the shoulder straps; hooking straps into these tabs wraps a holder over your helmet for the climb. These tabs are about to rip off on my pack. I contacted BD to get it fixed or replaced under warranty, and was told that a fix wasn't feasible and it could not be replaced because they had no more stock in this pack. Very frustrating that one of my favorite features broke almost immediately.
This pack has all the killer features for me. I can live with the avy gear pocket being an awkward size; though it is frustrating, I could just get a smaller shovel. But I'm really disappointed that the helmet high-carry feature is already broken after 3 months, and that there's no recourse for me even under warranty.