luke.orlandowrote a review of Gregory Zulu 55L Backpack on July 8, 2016
Familiarity: I've used it several times
I own the Zulu 65L and wanted to share my experiences thus far on the new line of packs from Gregory.
So, I just got back from 5 days and 4 nights on the trail in the Olympics, and I did 33+ miles with this pack weighing in anywhere between 37-47 pounds (we had a LOT of food). Initial impressions on day one were not good. The pack did not conform well and I could not for the life of me get the weight on my hips. I had the use the fly that night and Days, which I did like. It's well integrated and durable. On day 3 we still had a lot of weight and a lot of elevation change. The bag finally started to fit my back, and generally started to feel better. By Day 5, the pack was working better and we had a lighter load. It took a while, but eventually it was working well.
Things I like:
* Simple design
* I love the large center U zip, along with the extra large brain.
* The water bladder storage is a novel idea, and it's nice to have a day pack integrated into the larger pack.
* The materials use feel strong, but also light.
* Hip belts are nice and big. Fits most smart phones (Galaxy S7).
* Light Weight.
* Color: Green and orange look very nice together.
Things I didn't like:
* Long adjustment period. Nothing stayed in place for the first 3 days. A lot of adjustment occurred.
* Sleeping bag compartment zipper is narrow. and the divider isn't worth much.
* The suspension system is good for a UL pack, however with a heavier load (near max capacity) it does fail to distribute those extra pounds.
* Can't fit anything bigger than a very narrow 0F degree down sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack.
All in all, it's a decent pack. I was in between the Zulu and the Atmos AG (wife has the Atmos), and i'm glad I went with the Gregory. I would suggest trying the pack on first if possible because the sizes are a little wonky. I ordered a M (5'9, 160) and it felt a little small. I might try the Large and see if it feels better. Good luck and enjoy, hope this helps!