Why on earth did they stop making this?
I found mine used (and slightly abused) off eBay after loving and hating my bipod (which I got new from Backcountry). Let me explain what this thing has over the bipod:
• Your whole body length is physically separated from the shelter, even if you're wearing a lofty bag with an inflated mattress under you. Lofty bags lose insulating ability when even slightly compressed, so the separation seriously helps warmth. My torso and feet would often be cold in the bipod because of this.
• It has space, even under your feet. Put most of your gear in a weightless garbage bag and feel at home in this thing. Not claustrophobic, unlike bipod.
• It's much more thoroughly sealed than the bipod (which is well sealed to begin with).
• Most of the setup can be done externally without opening the shelter, huge plus if it's raining or stormy. Setup is also easier than the bipod despite more pieces: less stuff to stretch and contort.
• Adorable little gear pocket inside!
Now you'll often hear people say get a tent instead of a glorified bivy. They're correct up to a point: if you look at tents of comparable (or less) weight, you have some spacious options. However, none of these (with exception of Hilleberg Akto) are bombproof or four season. This thing you can use pretty much anywhere, just match it with the right sleeping bag.
Yes, it weighs more, but you get what you pay for. After using this thing, I see that for four seasons normal ultralight bivy bags defeat the purpose: you need a heavier sleeping bag to deal with loss of loft.
Black Diamond: are you listening? Please make these again, please please please :->. Jack up the price, "modernize" it to appeal to this generation, and keep making this wonderful thing. There's really nothing quite like it on the market as of this writing.