Select style & size:Select options
Quark Ice Tool
The Petzl Quark Ice Tool has been redesigned, making it even more ready to take on steep ice and any alpine terrain you can throw its way. Petzl added a collapsible finger rest that folds up into the shaft for a lower profile, and locks via a button that can be easily operated, even with gloves on. The handle received a makeover, too, with the front and sides of the old model being flattened into a more rectangular shape that increases grip efficiency. It also boasts slightly more room, allowing you to keep your hand in a more natural position, reducing pump as you work hard on steep pitches.
The Quark's shaft received an update, too. It's now hydroformed into a three-dimensional shape that's slightly narrower in the front than in the back, allowing you to optimize your grip when moving up couloirs or other low-angle terrain. Additionally, the hole for clipper leashes has been removed, making the shaft stronger overall.
Petzl added a nylon plastic insert between the head and shaft of the Quark to strengthen the connection, which also makes the head slightly lighter. You can add any of Petzl's head accessories to the new Quark, and use it with most of Petzl's heads for added versatility on whatever terrain you're going for.
- Versatile tool for technical mountaineering and steep ice
- Handle shape increases grip efficiency for less fatigue
- Hydroformed shaft offers optimal grip on lower-angle terrain
- Tapered pick works well in a variety of conditions
- Compatible with pick weights for extra penetration on hard ice
- Low-profile head features either a hammer or an adze
- Can be used with Petzl's Pur'Ice, Ice, Dry, and Pur'Dry picks
- Item #PTZ008A
- Q & A
Best tool around
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I've climbed with many ice tools, and this is my all-time favorite. Sure it doesn't have the drop handle, but until you're drytooling upside down on horizontal roofs, you don't need anything more! Super light tool with weight were it counts, gives a great swing every time.
Petzl Quark product video
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Check out this video that outlines the features of the new Quark.