While we appreciate substantial gloves with palm padding on gravel epics and trail outings, our criteria for gloves on race day are quite different. We want minimal interference between hands and hoods, we want low-profile uppers, and we want as few additional grams as possible. Pearl Izumi's PRO Aero Gloves deliver.
They're made to keep your grip confident and secure during the hot races of late summer, omitting any palm padding and opting instead for a synthetic leather palm to ensure sweaty hands don't send you sliding off the hoods. They're finished with a bit of aerodynamic texturing on the back of the hand, which Pearl claims reduces drag. While we lack the wind tunnel facilities to vet that claim, we do know that being glued to the drops during frantic finales definitely increases our chances of placing, and the low-profile wrist certainly looks the part of a racer's mitts.
- Race gloves for the hot days of summer competition
- Unpadded palm provides perfect purchase in the drops
- Low-profile, slip-on body uppers reduce opportunities for drag
- Breathable material expels moisture into the summer air
- Soft wiping surface keeps sweat off your brow, too
- Item #PLZ00O4
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
My favorite summer gloves.
1. Aerodynamic. Good looking. Great price.
2. No pads. Many experienced cyclists prefer gloves without pads because they provide better bar feel, grip, and control. Also, no pads = more comfort because there are no pressure points caused by the pads. You don't need pads in your gloves if you have cork/gel tape on your bars.
3. No velcro. So they don't snag your expensive jersey. And you can throw them in the wash with your other kit after your ride. So convenient.
4. Sweat wipe on glove.
5. Very high QC standards from Pearl. These won't split apart on you after three rides.
1. A little hard to get off because of no Velcro. But it's worth it for the convenience of being able to throw them into the wash.
Sizing: Pearl Izumi gloves usually fit true to size. For example (for me): Pearl Izumi = L. Spesh = L. Giro = XL. Castelli = XL.