There's always room for more warmth.
- Lightweight, compressible parka for chilling in chilly conditions
- 800-fill down insulation has a phenomenal warmth-to-weight ratio
- Pertex Quantum shell is windproof, water-resistant, and durable
- Hood rolls into collar for customized coverage
- Elastic drawcord hem stays secure in windy weather
- Left hand pocket doubles as stuff sack
- Item #ODR00LS
- Q & A
Great around-town jacket
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: small
- Height: 5'6"
For many years now I have worn a waist-length, non-hooded Patagonia jacket in the 600-650 fill category. While I have loved it, I was tired of being cold when the temps really dropped (or always layering a fleece underneath). I do run cold, so once I had the money I wanted to buy a long down jacket with a hood and a high fill loft. I tried on many jackets at BC and loved many of them, but ultimately I chose this one because it was the warmest for the best price (others I liked were a lower fill/similar price or similar fill/higher priced). A few other reasons I chose it:
1. It was one of the lightest down jackets I tried on (and I tried about 5-6 on). Which means it's not a bulky monstrosity to carry around on my arm.
2. It has these soft warm inner cuffs - which mean cold air never flows up your sleeves and you don't have to try to velcro or snap the sleeves down.
3. It's relatively slim profile - not tight, but it holds in warm air since it maintains a tailored shape along the body.
4. The zipper can be unzipped from top or bottom. This matters when you need that extra knee/leg movement (for getting in and out of your truck! or whatever).
5. The tailoring is very stylish. My fiance thinks I look super hot in this coat!
A few drawbacks:
1. The hood wasn't as great as the hoods on some other jackets I tried. It's smaller than most and produces crazy static cling on the hair. However, it's quite adjustable and I decided it was ok with the other features present.
2. I really wanted an unusual color like the raspberry or silver, but unfortunately I felt like these colors, combined with the shiny fabric, made me look more marshmellow-like in the booty and stomach. So I went with black since it didn't reflect contoured light as much.
I would love it if this jacket was made in other colors, like dark teal or forest green etc. I am 5'6 and my weight fluctuates between 120-130#. I am either a small or medium in most jackets, but this seemed to run true to size on the slightly large-ish side, so I got the small.