Mutant 52L Backpack
For big objectives and epic missions, the Mutant 52L Backpack is the pack to take along with you when you're planning on moving light and fast. Osprey slimmed down this pack so it only has the necessary bells and whistles to accommodate the tools you need to get the job done while playing in the high mountains. The large volume provides enough space so you're able to hike all your gear in to set up basecamp, and still sneak in a couple extra luxuries of home. Gear loops on the removable waist belt add access to extra gear when you're on the move, and a three-point haul attachment evenly distributes the weight of the pack so it can be stored at an anchor and hauled up a pitch when the climbing gets technical. Additional helmet and ice tool carry means that you can store your gear safely and securely on the way back to the car.
- A backpack for light and fast missions that could span multiple days
- 52 liter capacity carries the necessities and extras so you're prepared
- A-frame ski carry system hauls skis securely while ski mountaineering
- 3-point haul attachments distribute weight evenly for hauling up climbs
- Gear loops on waist belt allow for additional gear storage and access
- Ice tool carry points safely haul ice tools on the approach
- Helmet carry attachment stows helmet during the hike back to the car
- Removable waist belt shaves weight when counting grams
- Item #OSP00BB
- Q & A
Fantastic climbing pack
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I love this thing but read one for two complaints. If you are looking for a great pack for climbing, mountaineering, or the backcountry in the 50L category this is one of the best. It has enough features but not too many. It holds skis or a split board (in the A frame config) very well, plus it has nice ice axe holders, a helmet net, and the ability to strip it down to lighten it up for the summit push. The ONLY thing I wish it had was a proper avy pocket (for shovel and probe) on the front for quick access and I wish it has back panel access. I found I can do without it but those would have made this the perfect pack. If you need those features check out the Mammut Trion series. I didn't go with those as some of their other features I did not love. All in all I am very happy with the Osprey Mutant.