Need advice picking the right gear for your next adventure?Talk to a Gearhead
Built for true alpine style pursuits.
Osprey's Mutant 38L Backpack carries your essentials whether you're on a technical alpine objective or running laps on ice climbs. Complete with the necessary features required for light and fast missions, the Mutant 38L strips itself of the extra components of a typical technical pack. Reinforced A-frame ski carry holds your skis securely and the 3-point haul system distributes the weight of the pack evenly when clipped at an anchor or hauling up a climb. The hip belt features two gear loops to clip and carry equipment that can be easily accessed when wearing the pack while climbing. Ice tool locks safely stow a set of ice tools, and an included helmet carry attachment conveniently holds a climbing helmet during the approach.
- A streamlined pack hauls your gear on light and fast alpine objectives
- 38 liter capacity is perfect for long, single day missions
- A frame ski carry securely holds your planks while straddling a ridge
- 3-point haul system fastens pack to an anchor on multi-pitch climbs
- Hip belt and ice axe gear loops allow for additional gear storage
- Helmet carry stores your helmet when hiking back to the car
- Item #OSP00BC
- Q & A
Perfect for a long day on the route
Check out the great features on the Osprey Mutant Series.
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
Ended up returning this pack. It's a great pack and so I hesitate to give it fewer than 5 stars. It is just smaller than I was looking for. I want something in which I can haul more climbing gear.
Love the previous version of this pack. It had a zippered lid, and a rope AND helmet carry. I see no mention of a rope carry strap in this description? Are they relying on the buckle lid to retain a rope alone?
There is another strap under the lid (much like most rope carry systems). Feel free to contact me if you have other questions using the info above!