Select style & size:Select options
Efficient and reliable.
Considering that it weighs in at a hair over half-a-pound, you probably won't even notice the Ortovox Alu 240 Light Probe when you're skinning up to the peak. But in the unfortunate event that you actually need it, you'll be glad it's there, thanks to its crud-busting tip and easy-to-read depth markings.
- Light and tough probe for backcountry safety
- Aluminum construction is light and tough
- Shorter segments for more compact packed length
- Strong steel cable tensioning system
- Visual guide system makes it quick and easy to ready depth
- Rubberized grip for sure-handed grip
- Large probe tips busts through packed snow
- Item #ORT008U
- Q & A
Just the Tip
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This probe is one of easiest probes that I have ever used. The set-up is super intuitive, and probing is very easy. Ortovox uses a tip on the end of the probe that is larger than the rest of the shaft and allows the for probe to effectively penetrate the snow without much resistance. The quick-lock system does not allow for the shaft to go flaccid in your hands and when put into place, you can really set up the probe in no time. As with all avalanche gear, it is important that you get out and practice with your probe becuase if you are in a rescue scenario you are going to kick into instinct mode, so it is important to know the ins and outs of your gear,
Let me know if you have any questions regarding this or need any more help selecting the proper gear for you to safely gain access to the backcountry!