All over again.
If the above image inspires a bit of déjà vu, that's because the Optimum Men's Bib Shorts are the successors to Louis Garneau's popular entry level bibs, the Signature Optimum. The Optimum drops "Signature" and adds a new panel composition; an updated, bevel-edged chamois; and a few functional details that improve fit and in-saddle convenience.
Of these, our favorites are the open-backed bibs—which increase ventilation and widen the overall footprint of the support—and the inclusion of a gel pocket just above the thigh band. Admittedly, we rarely use the latter for actually carrying gels outside of TT situations (hello, jersey pockets), but it makes a nice receptacle for spent gel packages, sparing your phone, spare tube, and CO2 cartridge a sticky situation.
- Entry level bibs for the new cyclist or the weekend warrior
- Updated paneling provides a more ergonomic fit in-saddle
- Beveled-edge chamois eliminates irritating transitional ridges
- Wide, compressive cuff holds securely without pinching
- Thigh pocket holds ride fuel or spent gel packets
- Open-backed design provides support while ventilating
- Reflective details help keep you visible while sneaking in a pre-work spin
- Item #LGN00F5
- Q & A
Solid Bib Shorts
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: Large
- Height: 5'11"
- Weight: 185lbs
I ordered these bib shorts to replace an older pair, and seeing that they're listed as 'an entry level' bib I didn't have my hopes high. I've now worn these bibs a few times and I'm very pleased with their performance. The design and overall fit are more than what I expected. If you're considering these bibs for a replacement or as a pair to add to the arsenal then go for it - I don't believe you'll be disappointed. BTW - The fit (in my case, a Large) is true to size.