Go big or go home.
If you're setting on the AT, PCT, CDT, or any other months-long acronym of a trail, you'll need a monster gear hauler like the Gregory Baltoro 85 Backpack. With well over 5,000 cubic inches of gear-toting capacity to fit all the layers, food, and camping gear you'll need for a week at a time, the Baltoro will help you be seriously prepared on long trips when resupply is days away. Carrying a large load is tough regardless, but the Baltoro makes it a little easier by incorporating a vented LifeSpan foam back panel and LumbarTune removable insert that provide a comfortable, personalized ride that won't rub you the wrong way or force you to stop and readjust every five minutes. Even better, it features a QuickSwap 3D interchangeable LifeSpan foam shoulder harness and hip belt, so you can find the perfect fit before you hit the trail and realize that things aren't riding quite right.
The Baltoro's fit and carry are what set it apart, but it's also optimized to hold a weeks' worth of backpacking gear and adapt to the demands of your trip. The lid has three secure pockets for maps, snacks, and small gear, and additional pockets on the side and hip belt keep layers, gloves, hats, and other essentials where you can reach them. Gregory also built in a hideaway water bottle pocket on the side of the pack and included a SideKick removable daypack that doubles as a hanging reservoir sleeve for easy access to water or quick summit hikes. A series of lash points, loops, and compression straps hold everything from trekking poles to ice axes to that sweet stick you just found, and the stashable rain cover, DWR-coated water-resistant zippers, and reinforced bottom help stop rocks and rain from putting some serious cramps in your backcountry style.
- Gregory's ultimate backpack for long-distance treks
- 85L is the largest Baltoro backpack for heavy loads
- Response A3 suspension adjusts torso length for a custom fit
- LifeSpan foam at back, shoulders, and waist for breathable cush
- Wishbone frame with matrix ventilated back panel enhances support
- Removable hydration sleeve doubles as SideKick daypack
- Rain cover and WeatherShield pocket protect valuables from wetness
- SideWinder pocket lets you get your water bottle with the pack on
- Item #GRE009B
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I used this for a weekend trip where I had to pack for my entire family. I was able to carry everything for everyone (since the kids aren't big enough to carry much more than their water and a layer or two). My pack weight was over 50lbs and I'm not sore. I wouldn't recommend this for someone carrying only for themselves unless you need to carry ALL THE THINGS. It's huge, but it can handle it.