Go where the best snow is.
Finding the best snow a week after the last storm requires some additional effort. When those sheltered north-facing couloirs seem like the best bet, step into the Dynafit Women's Beast 98 Ski as you get ready for the long skin into your line. The ski is built around a stout ash and poplar wood core that helps save weight during the skin up and maintains stability when you're skiing aggressively on bigger terrain. The ski's 98mm waist puts an emphasis on versatility, so it'll handle everything from windboard at the top, sheltered pow in the middle, to a little bit of the crusty stuff when the apron starts to twist to the east. The Beast isn't your typical backcountry ski, though—its Double Elipse profile consists of a full rocker profile to give the ski a predictable and playful feel as you enter and exit a turn.
- Versatile backcountry ski ideal for powder-seeking tours
- Midfat 98mm waist makes the most of variable conditions
- Full rocker profile has a floaty and predictable feel
- Full sidewall construction is durable and stable
- Ride Tip helps reduce chatter when conditions turn firm
- Carbon and fiberglass laminates increase torsional rigidity
- Item #DNF00CO
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I demo'd these skis from our gear closet and used tech bindings for the first time on them. I liked the length. Conditions were a bit slick on the track we took them on and they held a good edge. I'm typically a snowboarder but the winter road we went up with the dogs was better for skiing so take this review with a grain of salt. Great for what used them for but I can't speak to riding conditions in powder or any gnarlier terrain. I'm 5'6 and the 160's were a great length for me.