Free Aero Race 4 Short
You've almost certainly heard the term, "free speed" bandied about in regard to aerodynamically-designed products. We're not sure "free" is exactly a proper term, after all, you have to buy the equipment, however, you do have to wear shorts too, so you might as well wear something that’s going to help you go faster with less effort. Semantics aside, the concept of a component providing a speed advantage via design isn't new, but its application to clothing is somewhat newer, and the Free Aero Race 4 Short from Castelli is a perfect example.
Its Forza fabric on inner legs with 38% Lycra content offers a perfect fit and since it's built for racing, it receives somewhat minimalist construction, but one that's made for aerodynamics and also comfort. Vortex dimpled fabric on legs boost aero performance while its updated Progetto X2 Air Seamless insert features one of the softest surface we've ever felt in a chamois.
- Aero racing shorts designed to help you go fast
- Vortex dimpled fabric on legs drop drag
- Forza fabric on the inner legs create a perfect fit
- Giro4 leg gripper elastic keeps the openings in place throughout the ride
- Doppio V construction in front offers increased comfort
- Flat-lock stitching throughout reduces friction
- Progetto X2 Air Seamless Donna women's-specific seat insert cushions the ride
- Item #CST00RH
- [legs] Vortex, [inner thigh] Forza
- spring, summer, fall
- Progetto X2 Air Seamless Donna
- Leg Gripper
- Giro4 elastic
- Claimed Weight
- Recommended Use
- gravel, road cycling
- Manufacturer Warranty
- 1 year
What do you think about this product?
December 18, 2020
Pros and cons
- I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Size Bought
- 5` 6"
- 131 lbs
As mentioned by others, I would size up. I usually wear a medium in Castelli and I got a large, which fits fine. The problem was that I got the gray shorts, which look great until you sweat and then they look terrible. I recommend a darker color.
October 30, 2020
Newest version of the Free Aero short
- I've put it through the wringer
- Runs small
- Size Bought
- 5` 5"
- 145 lbs
When Castelli came out with the new Free Aero short I was uncertain if I would like them. I have worn the previous version and really liked them. I was pleasantly surprised by the new design features. The pad is improved (it was always great compared to many brands) and the elastic leg grip design is much improved over the previous. The shorts are very comfortable and do not move around. They do fit small - so order one size up.
July 6, 2020
Order 2 sizes larger
- I returned this product before using it
- Runs small
This size chart is a joke. These shorts are not made for cyclists with quad muscles. Measure yourself, then order 2 sizes bigger or you won’t be able to put these on. I ordered one size up and still these were a no go. The band at the bottom of the leg is very restrictive.
Erica Summer A.