Word of advice.
Pack all your backcountry gear in Black Diamond's Dawn Patrol 32 Backpack the night before so you don't accidentally pack a Hawaiian shirt instead of an extra midlayer due to a sleepy daze. Prime for early morning backcountry excursions, the Dawn Patrol backpack boasts an active, form-fitting suspension that moves with you when you're booking it back to the car so you aren't late for work.
The Dawn Patrol carries snowboards vertically and skis diagonally or in an A-frame during bootpacks. A separate compartment stows avalanche safety gear, and the helmet carry tucks away during the descent. Black Diamond made this pack compatible with its Avalung Element and designed it with a back panel access so you can grab gear with skis attached to the pack. The insulated hydration sleeve and port protect your reservoir's water from freezing in low temps.
- Lightweight, mid-sized ski pack for backcountry skiing
- Active, form-fitting suspension moves with you
- Tuck-away diagonal and A-frame ski carry systems
- Vertical snowboard and ice tool PickPocket carry systems
- Separate compartment for avalanche safety gear
- Stowable helmet carry system
- Access to main compartment is possible with skis attached
- Insulated hydration sleeve and port protect reservoir from freezing
- Item #BLD00E0
- Q & A
Perfect day pack
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
My husband bought this, he says: "I've had a lot of touring packs over the years and this is my 3rd BD one. I bought this because I wanted the external helmet carrier and avalung compatiblility. It's a small pack but I feel that I have plenty of room for skins, crampons, axe, food, water, harness, first aide kit and a very small amount of climbing gear (not to mention shovel and probe). I love the internal small pocket for seldom used items like glop stopper and rub on ski wax and the external pocket for things like food and a voile strap. I like that the hydration pocket isn't on the back flap, one of my BD packs has the pocket on the flap and it bugs me. I like the Velcro loop strap to hang hydration bag from. Pockets on waist belt are great. I have used this a bunch and have no signs of wear. My only issue is that I can't carry my skis diagonal with helmet on out side of pack, but have not tried putting the helmet on the upper position (this would block the pocket I keep my food in, so A frame it has been ok for me).
Perfect full day pack
I used this pack for my avalanche course in the Wasatch and it fit everything I needed for the day, including a water bladder and hydroflask full of hot soup!
80% love, 20% hate
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I've used this pack for maybe 15 or so days of backcountry touring since I got it in November. I love so many things about it but I'm very frustrated by a few design flaws.
- Fits well and very comfortable to ski in
- Whistle on sternup strap
- Love the external helmet carry!!!
- Roomy dedicated skins pocket (not sure if it's waterproof)
- Dedicated avy gear pocket
- Diagonal carry, side A-frame carry, and snowboard carry, with really beefy reinforced straps
- Ice axe carry strap
- Love the big velcro grippers for the ski pole carry, fits around my folded Z-poles
- Roomy hip belt pockets can actually fit my snacks
- Hydration bladder and Avalung compatible
- Hydration bladder is not stored on the back door flap
- The avy gear pocket takes too much volume from the pack, and yet isn't tall enough to fit BD's own Deploy 7 shovel unless the pack is totally empty. If you have a medium-large shovel, packing around it and then repacking it if you want to use your shovel to dig a snowpit is ridiculous.
- The pack is already breaking after 3 months of use. The helmet High-Carry mode has two tabs sewn onto the panels of the shoulder straps; hooking straps into these tabs wraps a holder over your helmet for the climb. These tabs are about to rip off on my pack. I contacted BD to get it fixed or replaced under warranty, and was told that a fix wasn't feasible and it could not be replaced because they had no more stock in this pack. Very frustrating that one of my favorite features broke almost immediately.
This pack has all the killer features for me. I can live with the avy gear pocket being an awkward size; though it is frustrating, I could just get a smaller shovel. But I'm really disappointed that the helmet high-carry feature is already broken after 3 months, and that there's no recourse for me even under warranty.
Great Fit and attention to detail
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This pack is built to last, reinforced everything, locking straps, very comfortable. Batman would approve of all the gear that can be carried in this bag.
Comfortable and easy to organize pack. Great for day long tours.
Black Diamond does it again
I am continually impressed with the attention to detail with BD equipment. From the reinforced straps, locking straps, comfort, and easy access, this pack was designed and purposed with intent. Even after days of skiing in heavy snow my clothing inside the pack stayed dry without needing an additional water proof bag.
If you're looking for a day touring pack this set-up is equipped with all the essentials and then some this is it. The pack is high quality and worth the price.
Well designed. Great for day tours.