Select style & size:Select options
ATC - Alpine Guide
- Black Diamond's classic belay device updated for alpine climbing
- 6.9 - 9mm rope diameter optimized for 8.1 - 8.5mm
- Multiple friction modes designed for both belay and rappel
- Guide mode allows auto-block top rope belays at anchors
- Auto-block release hole accepts small carabiners
- Item #BLD00ZB
- Q & A
The perfect tuber for skinny half/twins
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
Finally pulled the plug on this to use with my BD 7.8mm half/twin ropes and man I'm glad I did.
Before I was using my Reverso 4 to belay with those ropes and had only used them in twin mode and it was always a little hairy. Catching a fall usually meant 5"+ slipping through the device and I was always wanting to wear gloves because I was paranoid about my brake hand hitting the device in a fall.
Just tried out this new tuber at the gym and the difference was immediately clear. Used for catching a twin fall and they just halted to rope no problem, no slippage and it frankly felt like catching a fall with the Reverso on a 9.8mm single. This actually made me brave enough to try belaying the ropes in half mode and once again it caught fallse quite easily. I was also surprised how easy belaying in half mode really is, I honestly thought it was going to be trickier.
Def would recommend this device to anyone using sub 8mm half/twins and I'm betting it would work fine for even the skinniest twins out there (the 6.9mm Edelrid Flycatchers).