A helmet's helmet.
It's always been easy to get carried away with over-engineered hype in the road cycling industry, but a glut of "game-changing" technologies have made the mountain bike side even more of an offender. Bell's 4Forty Helmet bucks the trend of innovation for innovation's sake, providing the simple, undeniable benefits of a mountain bike helmet that's designed to just be a helmet.
There are options that include all manner of POV camera mounts and piles of basic tech hiding behind proprietary acronyms, but the 4Forty sticks to what it knows—and what we know we want. Its In-Mold construction blends a (rather stylish) polycarbonate shell with an EPS foam body to boost the durability and ability to absorb impacts of both. The fit adjustment dial, goggle guide shaping, and sweat-guiding pads are all intuitive features that make perfect utilitarian sense once you're out on the trail, and the gee-whiz tech features that drive the prices of other helmets into the stratosphere are left where they belong—on the overpriced helmet shelf while the 4Forty accompanies you on the trails.
- A mountain bike helmet that sticks to doing helmet work
- In-Mold shell for increased impact diffusion
- Coverage extends down the back of your head
- Float Fit dial system adjusts fit with single-handed ease
- Goggle guide keeps your sendy eyewear in place
- Internal padding shuttles sweat away from your eyes
- Removable visor lets you keep the sun and rain out, too
- Fasteners babysit chin straps to reduce obnoxious twisting
- Item #BEL00FA