Select style & size:Select options
Shimano Premium Oval Road Ring
The goal with oval chainrings is to maximize efficiency at the part of the pedal stroke where power is produced, while minimizing resistance at the less powerful part of the stroke. As an industry leader in oval chainrings, Absolute Black claims their Shimano Premium Oval Road Ring has the potential to enhance a cyclist’s spinning ability with a smoother power delivery, an easier feel on the legs while climbing, and less energy used over time at the same power output. Most of us aren't pro cyclists, and simply can't spend the majority of our day on the bike perfecting our spin. Switching to oval chainrings can help to correct an imperfect pedaling action, providing the smooth power delivery the pros developed through thousands of hours of training.
Not all oval chainrings are created equal. Timing and shape are the most crucial part of oval chainring design, and Absolute Black spent three years in development to perfect these elements. While most other brands retain the same timing (position of the crank arm relative to the oval), and shape of the oval across all their chainring sizes, Absolute Black optimizes timing and shape for each different chainring size, resulting in the best possible ride experience. Absolute Black recommends trying an oval inner ring to start, to see how it helps your climbing performance. If you use the outer ring quite often on less demanding climbs, you'll likely want to switch your outer ring to an oval as well.
- Premium oval chainrings for Shimano road cranksets
- Enjoy smoother power delivery and better efficiency
- Climb easier and faster with less stress on the knees
- 6-point ramp & recess design helps reduce oval shifting problems
- Excellent strength to weight ratio, high level of stiffness
- Timing and shape optimized for smoothest possible pedal stroke
- Ramp design shifts best with combinations: 50/34, 52/36, 52/38, 53/39t
- Outer ring requires "Road Bolt Covers" or "Long Bolts" (sold separately)
- Item #ABC000D