Set yourself up for success.
When a long out-and-back is on tomorrow's agenda, the night before is a time of preparation. Most importantly, you need to make sure your alarm clock, outfit, and the Black Diamond Magnum 20L Backpack are ready for an early start, so you aren't fussing with your gear when you should be driving to the trailhead. This pack has a low-profile design so it doesn't slow you down, with enough space for all of the essentials you'll need on the trail. It has plenty of room for your food, layers, and first aid kit—and even your DSLR if you're feeling brave. It keeps your water close in the hydration-compatible sleeve, so you have no excuse for not staying hydrated, and organizes small items in accessory pockets so you can find everything in a pinch.
- Daypack for short but intense adventures
- Nylon material resists tears and abrasions
- 20L capacity is enough for a full day's worth of gear
- Hydration-compatibility ensures your water is within reach
- OpenAir back panel increases airflow to your back
- Removable, adjustable waist belt for a secure fit
- Loop secures a trekking pole or ice axe when necessary
- Item #BLD00S1
- Q & A
Perfect 20L bag
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I was having a hard time finding a smaller pack that will meet all my needs for those shorter day hikes or small adventures, but here it is! The awesome external pocket makes it easy to stuff layers in and allow them to be accessed quickly, without having to pull on the contents out of your pack. The side mesh pockets are HUGE and make it easy to tuck a nalgene in or even some rain gear. When empty it lays pretty flat and will easily sit on the bottom of a suitcase or duffel bag to pack away for you next trip when you don't want to use this bag as a carry on.