- Detail Images
The standard for expedition touring boats, now with a cockpit sized for smaller-framed paddlers.
Smaller-framed paddlers now have an expedition boat of their own—the Tempest 165 Touring Kayak. Wilderness Systems gave this kayak a lower deck, a more narrow beam, and a shortened length to make the handling more manageable. Inside the cockpit, you'll find the most arguably comfortable seating on the market and the controls to lower the deployable rear skeg that helps this long-haul boat track as straight as an arrow. Stash a few days' worth of gear in the sealed fore, aft, and midship hatches, and head out for an extended, offshore journey at sea.
- Tempest uses a shallow v-hull and a fish-like form with the widest beam just forward of the cockpit for easy edge-to-edge transitions
- Hull uses a multi-chine shape coupled with a signature v-hull design to balance secondary lateral stability with speed and straight-as-an-arrow tracking
- Increased secondary stability makes this touring craft easy to lean into a turn initially but particularly hard to capsize once deeply leaned into the water
- Phase 3XP Seating includes foam-padded seat and leglifter that are both adjustable on the fly and help to reduce thigh and lower-back fatigue
- SlideLock foot brace system accommodates paddlers of all sizes, while adjustable padded thigh braces increase cockpit comfort
- TruTrack Skeg System allows you to deploy an integrated skeg at the stern in order to increase control and help this boat track as straight as an arrow
- TruTrack Skeg deploys via a cable system that you operate from the cockpit, and the system has been updated for 2012 for easier at-home maintenance
- Watertight hatches at the bow, midship, and stern provide plenty of gear storage so you can bring enough supplies for a whole weekend (small midship hatch stores easy-to-reach sunscreen and snacks)
- Bow, midship, and stern bulkheads lock off each storage compartment so any water that enters at one hatch can't leak or wash into the next
- Soft Touch handles and a low carry weight make it easy to transport from your car to the shore
- Bungee deck rigging includes a reflective perimeter safety line to enhance your visibility to larger boats
- Made in the USA