- Detail Images
Avalanche Airbag System——the new standard in backcountry safety.
With its integrated dual airbag system, The North Face Patrol 24 ABS Winter Backpack is rewriting the book on essential backcountry safety equipment. Praised by Outside Magazine and Popular Mechanics for game-changing innovation, the Patrol 24's ABS boasts a 95% success rate in real-world use. Once deployed, the two high-volume airbags keep you on top of slide debris by increasing flotation, and they improve your visibility for an expedited rescue. Add in every other feature you'd expect in a high-end backcountry bag, and the Patrol 24 becomes the one pack you really might not be able to live without.
- Integrated ABS airbag system includes an air canister pocket, bag deployment pockets, and an easily accessible activation pull handle
- When handle is pulled, two high-volume airbags inflate to increase flotation and visibility in the event of an avalanche
- Includes one air canister for practice deployment only (practice canister is designed for a single deployment, refillable canisters sold separately)
- Constructed from Bombastic Cordura nylon with reinforced high-abrasion areas for outstanding durability
- Metal waist-belt buckle is highly resistant to breaking, ensuring the pack stays on during an avalanche situation
- Hinch ski and board carry system is simple and secure, and it tucks away when not in use
- Extra-large avalanche tools pocket keeps your shovel, probe, and additional equipment organized and easily accessible
- Backcountry essentials checklist in tool pocket helps ensure that nothing you need is left behind
- Dual waist-belt pockets are easily accessed while wearing the pack
- Editor’s Note: wearing this airbag system does NOT guarantee that you will survive an avalanche burial or a slide amidst avalanche debris; get educated, get the right tools, travel with partners, and be smart out there
- The North Face Summit Series
- *The Patrol 24 can be shipped via air to the lower 48 states only; no air shipping available to AK, HI, or international addresses
Share your thoughts
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I used this pack twice so far and have been really pleased. The only issue is that there is no helmet net on or in the pack. I have to use the ski strap to tie my helmet on the pack. Not so great on snowy days to keep your gear dry. It is not hydration compatible. Not that I care much since the hose freezes all the time but still nice for spring days.
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
ABS is one of the most trusted airbag systems. Designed and developed in Europe so you know it's good. Two airbags means that if you pop one on a rock or something you'll still have enough flotation to keep you on the surface. Paired with The North Face pack you have the best of both worlds. I don't travel in the backcountry without it.
Guys, how should I travel with this backpack...
Guys, how should I travel with this backpack to/from/inside the USA?
As I understand rules, I should drain canister prior flight, but how can I refill it at destination point, especially in wild place?
You will either have to ship a full canister and trigger ahead to your destination or arrange a local place to get a replacement.
Anyone know if the one-time 'practice...
Anyone know if the one-time 'practice canister', is fundamentally different than the refillable canister when used in the field?
No they are the same canister. You can also look into refillable ones as well.
Best Gift to Give
- Gender: Female
- Familiarity: I gave it as a gift, but have feedback to share
I got this for my brother for Christmas, best gift I could give! It helps me worry less knowing he has this awesome pack in case of an Avalanche.
Well Built Pack
Wasn't to sure what to expect when this thing came in, but I'm pleasantly surprised. This pack is extremely well built, and even without the ABS system would be one of The North Face's better ski touring packs. The only thing keeping this from being 5 stars is it's weight. Until we in the USA are allowed lighter weight bottles then we are going to have to deal with heavier ABS packs.
The North Face Patrol 24 ABS Pack
air bag time
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Air Bag Systems are the way of the future, these devices can greatly aid in surviving an avalanche but should not effect your backcountry travel decision. This pack keeps the weight of both the system, and your gear well balanced and distributed across your back. Well placed compression straps allows you to cinch the 24 L pack down considerably without interfering with the air bag deployment.�
Durability of TNF with safety of ABS
If you?re serious about skiing in avalanche terrain, you?re foolish not to have an ABS or similar pack. Yes, they cost a pretty penny, but the benefits evident in the survival rate of the users. The Chugach ABS offers enough space for all my gear on a day trip, without ever feeling over-bearing. Functionally and safety wise, there?s nothing better on the market.
The North Face Patrol ABS Demo
A North Face rep demonstrates the airbag functionality of the North Face Patrol ABS system.