The North Face Kings Canyon 3 Tent: 3-Person 3-Season
- Detail Images
A three-person freestanding tent light enough for backpacking and big enough for basecamp.
Roam through Appalachia with two friends by your side and the Kings Canyon 3 Tent in your pack. Often, three-season, three-person backpacking tents can feel claustrophobic and cramped inside, but the Kings Canyon boasts ample floor space, dual entrances and vestibule storage, and plenty of ventilation so everyone can breathe easy. A clever use of hubbed pole intersections, lightweight fly and floor materials, and lightweight components reduces the weight of this tent to a mere five pounds (light for a multi-person tent), without sacrificing weather protection or comfort.
Besides its capability to protect you from the elements, the true test of any backpacking tent is how easily it fits into your pack once you break it down. To this end, the near-minimalist design of the Kings Canyon 3 allows it to comfortably fit into a single backpack—a nice touch considering that many multi-person tents are easier to carry if you split the components up between two or more people. Lightweight and freestanding, this is a backpacking tent even big enough for basecamp.
- Fly and floor material are made of lightweight, ripstop nylon with a water-resistant PU coating to keep weather out, and the tent body uses highly breathable nylon mesh to improve ventilation and save weight
- Flysheet is hot-sealed at the seams and utilizes polyurethane tape to improve overall waterproofing
- Pole configuration includes a single main pole with a hub at the peak of the tent which splits into two poles that hold up the bulk of the tent, an arcing pole that supports the foot, and a ridge pole that helps maximize headroom
- Poles utilizes a cleaner anodizing process that eliminates the need for toxic chemicals such as nitric acid and phosphoric acid
- Dual door and vestibule design aids entrance and exit for all three campers
- Reverse-Combi poles use larger-diameter poles at the top of the tent and smaller-diameter poles on the sides which alters the arc of the pole, allowing for more headroom and living space
- Bathtub-style floor keeps rain from splashing in and dirt from blowing in under your flysheet
- High-low ventilation allows air to flow in under the bottom of the flysheet and out through a vent located near the peak of the door
- Tent can be set up with the fly and footprint only (footprint sold separately), allowing for an easier setup and lower weight in your pack
- Tent attaches to the poles via pivoting ball caps and quick-clips that make setup a snap
- Includes J stakes for soft ground, shepherd hook stakes for hard, rocky ground, and snow anchor bags for sand or snow