A backcountry workhorse from the Summit Series.
As tough as it is technical, The North Face Men's Free Thinker Pant is a workhorse stabled in a Gore-Tex Pro Shell 3L bombshelter. High denier shell fabric, high-back suspender straps, air-condition-like venting, and harness-friendly pockets all work together to make this pant one for the professional winter athlete or the ultra-dedicated enthusiast. No matter how brutal the mountains or how vicious the weather, it won't be enough to shake the Free Thinker Pant.
- Waterproof breathable Gore-Tex Pro Shell 3L fabric keeps you bone dry and allows sweaty vapors to escape from inside
- Fully tapes seams further add to overall weatherproofing
- Micro-grid backer allows this pant to slide easily over baselayers so there's no bunching or uncomfortable binding
- For the '12-'13 season, The North Face updated this pant with a more streamlined design
- Chimney Venting System uses inner thigh vents and vents at the gaiters to help circulate cool air in and allow hot air to escape
- High-back suspenders keep your pants in place, and these suspenders are adjustable and detachable
- Hook-and-loop tabs add adjustability to the waistband
- Pant-a-lock tabs at the waist snap to Pant-a-lock tabs on the waist of a compatible The North Face jacket so you can integrate your top and bottom and keep snow out of your kit on deep days
- Ends of pant legs are reinforced with edge guards to protect against sharp ski edges or crampons
- RECCO avalanche rescue reflector makes it easier for RECCO-equipped search parties to locate you when disaster strikes
Share your thoughts
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
Great lightweight shell. I've used it for two seasons running dogs on a glacier in Juneau and in jackson hole Wy. Very durable but did manage to put a small hole in them. Easy to move in and blocks out the wind and cold
Does this have full side zippers from...
Does this have full side zippers from bottom to the hip?
Hey thanks for the question!
No, these pants do not feature full length zippers. They actually do not feature any sort of zipper on the cuffs either.
When using the "chimney venting" does the...
When using the "chimney venting" does the opening include a mesh fabric over the open space?
Hey GTB, it's a mesh fabric. Check out this video produced by TNF, around the 0:18 mark for a good view.