Wax on, wax off, but first wax correctly with Swix Base Prep Cold Wax.
- BP77 wax is used for all conditions and gives the skis a nice looking finish
- BP88 wax is an all-around base wax used for normal winter conditions. Specifically used for new skis and as a travel wax
- BP99 wax is recommended as the first wax on all new skis to get the ski bases accustomed to hot irons. Also recommended for skis or boards in the “Hot Box” and temperatures should never be higher than 130-degrees Fahrenheit.
Share your thoughts
Great prep wax for doing hot scrapes
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
great prep wax for doing hot scrapes and getting your base ready for a hard wax. I like how you get a lot of it (180g) so you can go nuts and not worry about running out too fast.
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
After a competitive nordic ski career of obsessing over waxing, this is all I use for ski touring and skimo racing. Easy to scrape and clean and lasts well. Use a liquid rub on wax in addition once and a while to keep bases from drying out and you are set!
My Go To Ski Wax
I've been on both sides of the spectrum of ski tuning as I gate bashed/race tuned my skis for the first half of my life and the second half has been spent skiing in Utah where you rarely need to tune at all. One thing has remained constant though and that is using the Swix Base Prep Wax for at least the first few coats of wax for a season if not the whole season. The all conditions version does well for a lot of conditions for prep waxing and the 14-32 is the bees knees as it works well for both drier snow and all season use. The only conditions that it falters slightly in is the super saturated snow where speed additives are borderline necessary. If you wax your own, go with the Base Prep and be faster on the traverse.
Pretty straight forward, red base prep to get your bases ready for mid range temps, yellow for warmer, and purple for colder temps throughout the year, then just add some LF or HF on top on the days you need it. Good hard wax to make sure anything you lay over it will penetrate the base well and last you more than just a few runs.