- Detail Images
If you're looking for performance running shorts but you're not keen on the short-shorts look, pull on the SmartWool Men's Phd Long Run Short. The merino wool inner brief features SmartWool's 4-Degree Elite Fit System for comfy support where you need it most, and the seamless construction ensures maximum next-to-skin comfort.
- Merino wool inner brief helps regulate temperature and deals with sweaty odors so you won't end up offending your running partners
- Inner brief features 4-Degree Elite Fit System for support where you need it most
- Seamless brief construction provides chafe-free comfort
- Polyester outer short is lightweight and breathable
- Seven-inch inseam (medium size) provides upper-leg coverage
- Drawstring waist provides a snug fit
- Rear zippered pocket keeps valuables safely stowed
- Reflective SmartWool logo at hem increases visibility in low-light conditions
Share your thoughts
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
I've been wearing these for the past 7 months. I'd guess I've put around 600-700 miles on them. I love the fit. They're super lightweight and the liner borders on perfection as far as fit, comfort and odor-resistance are concerned.
The issue is the stench that's developed in the outer short. I had hoped the liner might be enough of a barrier to make the short a non-issue, but that's not the case. In the muggy heat here in central VA, the shorts end up saturated (okay, not really surprising) and have developed the dreaded stench. Admittedly, I've switched most of my active clothing to wool, so am probably a bit prissy about smell, but I have several pairs of "plastic" bike shorts, and they don't stink this bad, nor do they hold on to the stink like these things.
This is a huge reason I switched to wool, and I'd forgotten how frustrating it is. It's not so much the stink, but the persistence. Once it gets into the fabric, it doesn't take much sweat to reactivate it.
So, great shorts. The liner resists odor well, and is very comfortable, but the outer short is polyester and performs as such. I imagine there are other polyester shorts that perform as well, and for significantly less money*. When the people running behind you can describe the smell of your crotch as it wafts off the outer short, who cares if the liner is spring-fresh? If Smartwool made a full (or mostly) wool version, they'd be perfection.
*Having said that, I also run in a pair of Pearl Izumi Infinity LD shorts. They're nice shorts, but nowhere near as comfortable as these.