- Detail Images
That icy peak has you and your buddy's names all over it, but since it's mid winter, you should probably slip on the SmartWool NTS Midweight Hoodie before you head out to climb. As a baselayer, this midweight merino wool hoodie provides soft insulation that breathes and dries quickly as you gain the ridge and muscle through the frigid January wind to the summit.
- Midweight, next-to-skin merino wool fabric regulates your body temperature and resists the build-up of odors while you ski, tour, or climb in wicked winter weather
- Three-panel hood and shoulders enhance the fit so you can move comfortably in the mountains without rubbing and chafing
- Form fit reduces excess bulk and enhances the performance of the fabric
- Hip length and drop-tail hem boost coverage
- Scuba-style hood insulates your head underneath your climbing or skiing helmet
- 15-inch front zipper dumps excess heat as you climb in the sun
- Flatlock interior seams prevent rubbing and chafing
- Thumbholes secure your sleeves while you layer up
Share your thoughts
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I really like this base layer, it fits me perfectly. It's usually hard to find stuff that's long enough without being super wide, I'm 6'2" and all torso...lol. But this is nice and form fitting with sleeves that are long enough. Doesn't bunch under my mid layer when I need it. We will see how well it keeps me warm when I go on a little alpine adventure next week
Base or Mid Layer!
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I'm finding that I like this midweight hoodie much better as a mid layer. It's dense and provides nice warmth, so usually find that I'm more comfortable wearing it over a thin short sleeve base. The hood fits nicely, too! Which means you can leave the beanie at home if you're shaving ounces. Slim fitting, durable, easy to care for, and stink free. The only negative for me is that it is fairly heavy, and about an inch longer than I like. Need a heavy base, or thin mid layer - this one has you covered. I use for ice climbing, ski touring, even biking on cold days! 6' 185lbs, Large fits nice, although the medium would work, too, but much more fitted, and probably could only use as a base in a size medium.