A technical pack that conquers the wild day by day.
- A Single DAC aluminum stay increases pack rigidity without adding significantly to the weight
- Forward-pull hipbelt, internal frame sheet and foam shoulder straps work make this pack extra-comfy
- Top loading design makes it quick to pack this bag and easy to reach vital gear as fast as you need to
- Super-Size-Me front pocket holds a helmet, spare layer and anything else you can fit beneath this versatile, external storage point
- Hydration-ready to accept a water reservoir and anti-slosh system helps to minimize annoying slosh from a half-full reservoir
- Load-lifter and stabilizer straps dial in the fit to balance heavy loads
- Built-in rain cover means you can't forget a vital piece of foul-weather gear at home
- Radio and GPS attachment point takes the guesswork out of attaching your communication and navigation devices
Share your thoughts
Excellent design for specific activities
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This day pack has all the makings of a great backpack for quick excursions. Every component seems to be designed with workmanship and quality materials. I'm really liking the lumbar support pad at the bottom of the frame sheet, which allows you to carry large, awkward loads comfortably.
I will say though that the pack is designed very specifically for backpacking and hiking. Because of the tall framesheet, the pack isn't suitable for biking and can be a little strange if the pack is only half loaded with gear.
As the description says, it's a fantastic technical pack that serves it's designed purpose well.
Great early effort from SD
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I have been a longtime fan of Sierra Designs tents and sleeping bags, but have not yet tried their recent foray into packs. The Discovery is a great first effort with a simplistic design, great vented back paneling, innovative single DAC aluminum frame, and lots of external carrying space. This is a great option for someone needing a day-tripper that can haul mid-size loads in a variety of conditions.