Small and lightweight in your pack, but a reliable shelter for the longest trails.
Successful thru-hikers slim down their packs with an ultralight, versatile shelter like the Rab Siltarp2 2-Person tarp. This tarp protects you and your hiking mate from light rain and heavy summer dew.
- At only 13 ounces, this 8 x 10ft tarp provides up to 80sq ft of coverage from the elements for two or three people on ultralight trips
- Silicone-impregnated ripstop Cordura (30D) fabric sheds rain and provides incredible strength for its weight
- Multiple webbing loops let you set the tarp up in a variety of configurations with guylines (not included) and trekking poles or trees
- Corners and center loops feature Hypalon reinforcement to ensure durability in windy conditions
- Stuff sack included so you have a safe place to store your tarp in your backpack
Share your thoughts
Define "light rain." Will this tear and...
Define "light rain." Will this tear and collapse in a moderate rain? Is it basically a square nylon tent rain fly with convenient tie-down loops? Will it replace my bulky 8x10 nylon tarp in a steady moderate rain?
Specifically,"light rain" is defined as about 0.10" per hour, so hopefully that gives you a better perspective on what to expect. But yeah, at 30D, it's roughly the same as an 8x10' square rain fly. With the denier rating of the rip-stop Cordura and the Hypalon reinforcements, it's not that it will tear and collapse in anything harder (assuming you're guyed out and draining off right), it's that the water will overwhelm the performance capabilities of the silicone impregnated into the nylon. If the specs for packed size/ weight are less than what you've got, and you know the limitations vs your ultimate needs, it should be as good or better than what you have now. Sil-nylon does pretty amazing stuff for what it is as a material, and Rab generally doesn't mess around with lame fabrics or construction. Hope this helps.