Philip Martinwrote a review of Outdoor Research Transcendent Down Jacket - Men's on December 20, 2015
Familiarity: I've used it several times
Fit: True to size
I've used this OR jacket in Southern California for the last week or so, night temps ranging from 45-50F including an evening boat traverse over the ocean and it does a solid job of keeping my core warm. It's interesting to notice my legs feeling cold in wind and yet my chest actually feeling very toasty. This jacket is distinctly warmer than an REI Windbrake fleece and much lighter. I don't know how it performs in heavy heavy winds or deep cold.
- Warm core - Down fill is pretty good and stuffs nicely, but the arms are not nearly as warm as the chest.
- Fit / Aesthetics - well-fitted, great waist cinch, and nice color. (Dusk/Night)
- Fleece pocket liner
- Great value - a durable, warm, dry-weather down jacket.
- Stuffs into its own pocket
The not as awesome:
- No DWR / no Hydrophobic Down - Limits this jacket to arid climate ventures. (Understandable for the price point)
- Mine seems to consistently leak a bit of down. Almost every time I wear it, I notice little while strands fluffing out of the outside seams on the arms/shoulders. Will update after a few weeks have passed to see if this is still happening...