rocco891994721 wrote a review of Marmot Guides Down Sweater - Men's on February 4, 2009
I haven't had this jacket for more than a few weeks, but I already love it. Warm, comfortable, lightweight and reasonably good looking...it really does it all for a reasonably price.
I was mainly looking for a down jacket to wear around town and under a shell for skiing from time to time, but I wasn't planning on wearing this thing backpacking. For what I was looking for, this jacket fits the bill and then some.
1. Warm (I actually ordered 3 different jackets at the same time so I could choose the one that fit the best. It's warmer and bulkier than the Patagonia down jacket, but not bulky but just as warm as the North Face Nuptse jacket. It kind of splits that difference between bulk and warmth just perfectly in my book.)
2. Good fit (I'm 6'1" and weight 180lbs and the medium fits just right. The sleeves are long enough and the body stays in place when you raise your arms. Plenty of room to layer, but not too much as to feel like I'm wearing a garbage bag.)
3. Lightweight (As most down jackets go, this thing weighs very little. Not as light as the Patagonia, but light enough.)
4. Feels durable. (Haven't had it long enough to tell for sure, but the exterior ripstop feels like it'll hold up.)
5. Love the thermafleece lined collar and handwarmer pockets
6. Fits a little longer in length compared to Mountain Hardwear jacket I have, which is good as my waist doesn't feel exposed.
1. Not a lot of frills. (Interior zip pockets doubles as stuff sack so it's cavernous which isn't ideal for a wallet or ipod.)
2. Zippers are so-so.
3. The look is pretty middle of the road.
Overall I love it so far. If it holds up then I give it a 5+. For the price, you really can't beat it as other jackets I tried just didn't live up in the "features/value" ratio.